External Harddisk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
Planning to get a 500Gb external harddisk. Missed out during the PC show in May.

Of the three brands - Maxtor, Seagate and Western Digital, which one would you recommend ? I was told by a colleague that one of these offers a 5 years warranty and the other two offer a 3 years warranty, but she wasn't sure which one offered the 5 years warranty :bsmilie:

If you have any recommendations, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I recently bought a Seagate with 5 years warranty (first 3 years 1-to-1 exchange).

bought a 320GB Seagate a few months ago @ S$180. Quite good, but of course needs to be externally powered unlike the portable versions (which are therefore much much more expensive).

Forget the IT show...the entire show is a hogwash...i bought mine a week or two later and realised the deals in the open retail market were much better than the IT show!! (including the prices of cams etc!!) :eek:

if i'm not wrong, now all offer 5 year. Normally 3 year 1-1, then its repair. yeps.

New Seagate "Free Agent" series looks good in price, design and capacity. :thumbsup:
but Seagate warranty starts rolling on the day it leaves factory (or is it manufactured?_?)... as for 1:1 exchange, some reseller only do that for the 1st year...
after that you can still get 1:1 exchange with Seagate, but of cos those are refurbish stock...

You could go to funan as it is nearer to your workplace. :)

Seagate (Free agent) and Western Digital (My book) seem not bad. External harddisk should be $260 or so. Seagate is 5 yrs. The rest I am not sure.

Go to Cybermind, Fuwell or Laser.

Alternatively, you could get those casing and internal hdd.

Thanks bin...

Sim Lim is also near my workplace :D
will go and take a look at Seagate and Western Digital. Thanks for the shops recommendations... :thumbsup:

I'm using WD I-book 500GB fire wire. S$269 during IT Show. Happy with it so far.

Seagate.....er... no comments. FYI, I had crashed 8 Seagate drives in a span of 15 years. another 1 year old 320Gb suddenly lost all my data.. even if they give me 10 to 1 exchange its still useless cos the data inside cost more that that.

I just got a Maxtor 500 Gig for 215 at Funan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.