External hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat

Mar 5, 2005
Hi ,

Any recommendation for external CD 2.5 " and 3.5". I am looking at BUFFALO MiniStation 2.5" 500GB (USB2.0). Any one have try it ?

Have pretty bad experience with Seagate hard disk external HD that "fries" 2 of my motherboard.

Hi ,

Any recommendation for external CD 2.5 " and 3.5". I am looking at BUFFALO MiniStation 2.5" 500GB (USB2.0). Any one have try it ?

Have pretty bad experience with Seagate hard disk external HD that "fries" 2 of my motherboard.
Hard disk fried your motherboard? What were you cooking mate? LOL! I have been using the Seagate drives for 5 years. No probs except for data corruption due to motor failure. Common problem.

I am using the external Seagate 500GB 2.5" right now with no problems. Another one which I use is Freecom. Cheaper alternative with cooler looking casing.

I like the Drobo but it isnt available locally. Did u import it?

No idea how a USB2 HDD can fry a motherboard....

Have the 300GB ministation and works fine.

In my view, unless you need the fancy software that comes with the branded casings; it is far cheaper, and better to get a 2.5HDD and a 10 buck casing separately. The 10buck casing is much smaller than your typical branded casing.

The Seagate casing is the worst, huge and bulky.

Hi ,

you guys think 3.5 or 2.5 is the way to go for 320Gb and above?

cos i am torn between 2.5 inch 320gb and 3.5 inch 500gb. both are retailing at about the same price at my favourite shop at SLS. 3.5 inch has like so much more things i need to plug into... but its cheaper in terms of dollar per gig...

If you need portability, then 2.5. If you never ever bring it around, then 3.5.

Buy a 3.5" to put at home/office (whichever is convenient) for backup, a 2.5" as second backup, also for carrying around.

Agreed. 2.5" for portability and 3.5" for desktop.

I will give their (seagate) and freeagent a skip. My 500 Gb freeagent has "fried" 2 motherboards over a few months, so I have enough of it.
Strange...but to each his own I guess. Good luck finding a 'cool' one. ;p

Freecom ones look nice but I am wary of the heat as the HDDs use a rubber like covering.

Status
Not open for further replies.