External Flash

desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
hi guys, i am using SB700 with D90, i would like to know, how can flash photography improved my shooting? i usually shoot landscape, animals, birds, and i would like to try some portrait and events.

this is the link of some of the shots i take, thanks

desertstrike said:
hi guys, i am using SB700 with D90, i would like to know, how can flash photography improved my shooting? i usually shoot landscape, animals, birds, and i would like to try some portrait and events.

this is the link of some of the shots i take, thanks

Flash has very restricted use in landscape photography. Only time I see it useful for some people is to light up a very dark foreground. But not everyone like to approach that issue using a flash.

For animals and birds, if your subject is further away, you might need a beam concentrator like Better Beamer.

Flash is extremely useful for indoors, events, portrait fill outdoors or studio.

Flash has very restricted use in landscape photography. Only time I see it useful for some people is to light up a very dark foreground. But not everyone like to approach that issue using a flash.

For animals and birds, if your subject is further away, you might need a beam concentrator like Better Beamer.

Flash is extremely useful for indoors, events, portrait fill outdoors or studio.

hmm... true true, i was wondering if flash can be used to show finer details or say maybe am eagle (not firing the flash directly at it of course), and also increase the shutter speed by not increasing iso...

hmm... can it work this way?

Light needs to reach your subject to work. If you shoot outdoors, there is nothing to bounce the light off from. Also there is also the inverse square rule on lights. If the distance from light source is doubled, the light power on the subject is 1/4 of what it was before.

Light needs to reach your subject to work. If you shoot outdoors, there is nothing to bounce the light off from. Also there is also the inverse square rule on lights. If the distance from light source is doubled, the light power on the subject is 1/4 of what it was before.

i see... what if the subject is just 10 m away?

Then it would depend on your aperture and ISO. If you're outdoors and it is not possible to achieve a large aperture with high ISO, I doubt a flash will have much effect on a subject 10m away.

10m is pretty far away. That's about 30+ feet in imperial measurements.
Though you may get some illumination on your subject, I suspect the effect will be minimal.

10m is pretty far away. That's about 30+ feet in imperial measurements.
Though you may get some illumination on your subject, I suspect the effect will be minimal.

Well if he has his aperture at f1.4 and his ISO at 6400, I'm pretty sure the flash will have more than minimal effect :)

By the way, flash can be used for any type of photography, you just have to get creative and experiment with your flashes and flash modifiers to see what kind of effects they produce.

Last edited:
Well if he has his aperture at f1.4 and his ISO at 6400, I'm pretty sure the flash will have more than minimal effect :)

By the way, flash can be used for any type of photography, you just have to get creative and experiment with your flashes and flash modifiers to see what kind of effects they produce.

haha yes yes that is certainly true :)
ISO 6400.... hmmm, cheaper to buy a remote trigger + receiver and mount flash closer to subject, than buy an ISO6400-capable body ;)

haha yes yes that is certainly true :)
ISO 6400.... hmmm, cheaper to buy a remote trigger + receiver and mount flash closer to subject, than buy an ISO6400-capable body ;)

But TS wants to shoot eagles leh, I don't think it's very possible to place the flash closer to the subject, so in such a case, an ISO 6400 capable body is a better option :)

But TS wants to shoot eagles leh, I don't think it's very possible to place the flash closer to the subject, so in such a case, an ISO 6400 capable body is a better option :)

ahh i see. overlooked that point :)