External Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelmetBox

Sep 9, 2003
It is evident that a newbie's next equipment investment would be on a decent external flash.

There seems to be so many types of compatible flash in the market. I seriously have no idea which is which and how to fully utilise the features. So I need all you experienced photographers to reach out your helping hand and advise me please :D

I am using a Canon 10D with a medium sigma 70-200/2.8 lens. Which flash should I consider and why?

What else must I look for?

I don't have an 'area of photography'. Too newbie to find out yet.......

Thanks in advance for all valuable advice!

I would suggest you either get Canon Speedlite 420EX (AF assist supports all 7 AF points) or the Sigma EF500 Super DG (higher guide number than 420EX, lots more manual controls, same price). Both are very capable and should suffice for all your needs.

Qn:

The flash intensity is set automatically with the lens right? For example the mentioned 500DG with G.N 30m at 28mm and 50m at 105mm. Does this mean that the flash only works with a 28-105mm lens? If I am using a medium tele lens (70-200), does it mean the flash won't work? :dunno:

no. the "mm" indicates the flash coverage. the higher the "mm", the narrower the flash coverage and the longer the flash distance. generally you keep the flash zoom position as wide or wider than the lens to ensure proper flash coverage of the subject.

you could use an external flash with any lens. if you use a lens that's more than the max zoom of the flash, the flash will just stay at the max zoom position.

Which also means that if your subject to camera distance is longer than the flash coverage, then u will experience flash fall off..... and your subject will not be lit properly.... given that u are using a 70-200mm lens.... u have to be careful lar..... getting the Sigma is a good option since it calculates the flash coverage distance for u and u will know if u are too far from the subject for effective flash coverage......

darkness said:
I would suggest you either get Canon Speedlite 420EX (AF assist supports all 7 AF points) or the Sigma EF500 Super DG (higher guide number than 420EX, lots more manual controls, same price). Both are very capable and should suffice for all your needs.

just dont forget the 550EX.

TME said:
Which also means that if your subject to camera distance is longer than the flash coverage, then u will experience flash fall off..... and your subject will not be lit properly.... given that u are using a 70-200mm lens.... u have to be careful lar..... getting the Sigma is a good option since it calculates the flash coverage distance for u and u will know if u are too far from the subject for effective flash coverage......

Oooookay...... So it means I'm better off using a lens in the zoom range of the flash? Oh gosh....... When they say max 105mm does it mean the 35mm equivalent (using DSLR) that would be ~65mm? So effectively to get correct exposure I should stay in this range?

How much does the Sigma EF500 Super DG cost?

Astin said:
If you think choosing a flash is difficult, wait until you have bought the flash, you will then need to choose to buy those little flash accessory. To see some example, check this webpage:
http://www.lumiquest.com

:faint: :hung:

HelmetBox said:
Oooookay...... So it means I'm better off using a lens in the zoom range of the flash? Oh gosh....... When they say max 105mm does it mean the 35mm equivalent (using DSLR) that would be ~65mm? So effectively to get correct exposure I should stay in this range?

How much does the Sigma EF500 Super DG cost?

Choose a higher end flash. It is a good investment. Unless your lens is way out of the range of the flash, then whatever focal length your lens is does not matter. Anyway flashes only cover up to 85mm. U need flash extenders or wireless or cable flash to cover much higher focal lengths like 300mm and above lar... In any case, u shouldn't be that far away from your subject lor..... the important thing is to stay within the flash coverage distance whatever focal length u use... only at the wide end will focal length be important and for <24mm, u need a 17mm diffuser which is built in with the higher flashes like the 550EX or the Sigma EF-500 Super. The Sigma is a good buy if the 550EX is too costly for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.