External Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

qing02051981

Dec 25, 2005
Simei
hancheng-travel.blogspot.com
Hi,

I just bought a SB-600. Besides using it for human portrait shots, I just cannot think how the flash can be more useful.

In the museum, the flash seems pretty useless. The ceiling is too high to bounce the light onto the artifact. If I point the flash to the artifact, the lighting gets too harsh.

Any ideas where the flash (SB-600) can be more useful?

Flash can be used everywhere. Experience users use more flash then beginners.
Diffuser or bounce card can make your flash even more useful.

there's already a diffuser on the sb600. Still need to buy 1?

by using it off camera..

there's already a diffuser on the sb600. Still need to buy 1?

Which one you using? Can consider the lightsphere, whaletail, the stofen cap or bouncecards!

i using sb600 flash. then there is a piece of plastic which can bring down... isnt tat a diffuser? still need to buy the plastic cap?

i using sb600 flash. then there is a piece of plastic which can bring down... isnt tat a diffuser? still need to buy the plastic cap?

thats a wide angle diffuser if I'm not wrong..

the transparent plastic is a wide angle diffuser, there should be a small bounce card which can be pulled out or can always make one urself. if budget is not a problem then get the lightsphere, whaletail or other diffusers mentioned above.

your flash is the second important thing (tripod first) to have in photography... use it well... read more on flash photography..

the transparent plastic is a wide angle diffuser, there should be a small bounce card which can be pulled out or can always make one urself. if budget is not a problem then get the lightsphere, whaletail or other diffusers mentioned above.

There is no bounce card provided in the box leh. Hmm, i read from website that SB600 does not have a compatible stofen diffuser.

There is no bounce card provided in the box leh. Hmm, i read from website that SB600 does not have a compatible stofen diffuser.

u go alan photo they have something for sb600
apart from that the Flip-it can also be used

You can make your own bounce card. Get those white plastic reflecters from art shop, cut to shape and use rubber bands to attach it to your SB-600. It usually comes in sheets, so you can make a few of different sizes. experiment to see which suits your preferences.

Flash gives you an extra source of light, which has longer reach than the built-in flash. Be creative. You can use it for other non-human/animal photography too. I use it in interior/exterior architecture, objects and where I need to balance back lighting. Go to the library and borrow a book on the subject...;)

spending 300 plus to get better portrait shots is already worth the investment in the long term. Doesn't mean you need to exploit it to every drop.

lol the sb 600 does have a built in bounce card. well sort off anyway. the so called wide angle diffuser is its official name. trick to this is. pull it out but not too much that it covers the flash. so about 3/4 of the way. and voila u have a bounce card. haha. of course dont angle it at 90 degrees angle it at about half way (45) play with the flash compensation as well.

another way to do this is to up iso and tone down ur flash. remember grain appears most in shadows so as long as ur pic isnt under iso 800 should be decent.

well too bad u cant take full advantage of the wireless capabiltiy. u use a d70 right? and in that way actually the 600 is a bit stupid cause it cant be optically triggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.