External flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebbot

Mar 24, 2005
Hi all~

just got myself a external flash as a gift...was wondering how I can use it properly :) is it better to have one for outdoor night pictures?

Was reading up on some materials and I have a question, when I have cellings to bounce off indoors...how do I tilt the flash head when taking night shots outdoors? Do I direct it at the subject or tilt it slightly? :dunno:

Thanks in advance~

For bounce flash, depending on the situation, you could either tilt the flash vertically towards the ceiling or at a slanted angle that allows the light to bounce off the ceiling and back onto the subjects. Its just geometry. Do a series of trials and get to know the characteristics of your flash.

If you are using it for your digital camera, you can always do some test shots.

rebbot said:
Hi all~

just got myself a external flash as a gift...was wondering how I can use it properly :) is it better to have one for outdoor night pictures?

Was reading up on some materials and I have a question, when I have cellings to bounce off indoors...how do I tilt the flash head when taking night shots outdoors? Do I direct it at the subject or tilt it slightly? :dunno:

Thanks in advance~

i confused... are you talking about using bounce flash "indoors" or taking night shots "outdoors"?

i think you should first read teh basic on flash photography. Indoor shots are totally different from outdoor night shots.

hmmm thanks for all the replies from the pros :) Think I was a little sick last night dun even know what I am talking about :bsmile:

I tried the flash with indoor shots by bouncing up and all over hehehe looks great and yeah after a series of shots I found that some angles produce better shots naturally

BUT my question here is how to use external flash for outdoor daytime or nighttime shots? :dunno:

rebbot said:
BUT my question here is how to use external flash for outdoor daytime or nighttime shots? :dunno:

outdoor daytime - auto metering (P,A,S/Tv), flash direct and compensate -1 to fill-in flash

night portrait - flash direct w/o compensate

rebbot said:

if you are talking about outdoor portraits,can try angle to 90 and use a flash card too, compensate flash too. =)

for nighttime, usually would be using a slower shutter speed so that backgd and ambience lighting can be captured. it depends on what effect u are trying to achieve also. :wink:

Thanks megaweb and Arcanic for the fabulous advice ;) just what I need hehehe

megaweb what is TV?

arcanic when u say angle to 90 meaning turn the flash head to point upwards directly and use a flash card together? is the omnibounce useful here then?

I always use the max aperture F8 :( and shutter at 30s for those great landscape/landmark pictures at night but doesn't work for potraits heheeh esp when u really wanna see the face

oooohhhh I see megaweb thanks! :)

rebbot said:
Thanks megaweb and Arcanic for the fabulous advice ;) just what I need hehehe

megaweb what is TV?

arcanic when u say angle to 90 meaning turn the flash head to point upwards directly and use a flash card together? is the omnibounce useful here then?

hehe, u look me too up la, me not that pro.. =)

yep, thats what i meant, point the flash upwards and use a bounce card, omnibounce isn't really useful for outdoor photography unless u are in an area where there are many reflective surfaces for ur light to omni bounce on. a bounce card would help better in bouncing the light to the direction you want.

night protraits are much harder to control... try to make use of your surroundings though. =)

rebbot said:
I always use the max aperture F8 :( and shutter at 30s for those great landscape/landmark pictures at night but doesn't work for potraits heheeh esp when u really wanna see the face

I am using StroboFlip + the SC-17 Nikon cable.
stroboframe_stroboflip.jpg

This helps "flip" your flash to upright position when shooting portrait position. The downside is that this thing is made of metal and can scratch your camera if not properly separated from it when inside the bag, and the SC-17 curly wire keeps dropping in front of the camera... otherwise, it works like landscape flash. Don't know if there are other product like it from different maker.

arcanic: hahaha no worries you are the man :p hmmm looks like i have to get a bounce card now :( well most of the potrait pictures I wanna take at night at usually dimly lit even the surroundings have no idea why

dawgbyte77: that looks heavy dun think I will bring that along while travelling :)

rebbot said:
arcanic: hahaha no worries you are the man :p hmmm looks like i have to get a bounce card now :( well most of the potrait pictures I wanna take at night at usually dimly lit even the surroundings have no idea why

dawgbyte77: that looks heavy dun think I will bring that along while travelling :)

if its really really dark... u can either use direct flash (or if u dun like the harsh lighting), try using an offshoe cord then u can hand held the flash at one side and take a pic from the other, if will give u more flexi lighting and more fun... hehe

hmmm was thinking of trying out direct flash and see if the lighting is too extreme...if its not too much for my liking I probably leave it at it is ;)

hi guys...went to check out TCW earlier on...they were suggesting that I get the Lumiquest Bounce Card if I needed a bounce card...

Is it recommended?

Dun really have experience with flash before except I had fun bouncing the flash in my room and my bro room last night :bsmilie: It was interesting to see wat difference angles can do ;)

rebbot said:
hi guys...went to check out TCW earlier on...they were suggesting that I get the Lumiquest Bounce Card if I needed a bounce card...

Is it recommended?

Dun really have experience with flash before except I had fun bouncing the flash in my room and my bro room last night :bsmilie: It was interesting to see wat difference angles can do ;)

I just made my bounce card using $3 velcro sticker from Fairprice, wrapped the velcro carton with leftover aluminum foil, and stick the half of velcro on it and the other half in my flash. I'll take a photo of it later... at least this is cheap. Got the idea from a fellow photog who use his mom's aluminum foil also.

hmmm sounds great pal...maybe can share your making process if you are free of course :embrass:

I did a search on this topic but did not find much though

Status
Not open for further replies.