External Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wat is your budget?

In my humble opinion, for your normal usage, canon EX420 is good enough.

frostyIntrepid said:
umm, stretch a bit? LOL but seriously what's the diff?

580ex goes for $760. I've the 580, 420 and the sigma. 580ex's recycling time is very much faster than the other flashes. Sigma 500DG's recycling is slower and build quality isn't as good, imho. 420ex isn't as powerful as the other two but it's good enough for most people.

frostyIntrepid said:
ahh....perhaps you would like to explain what recycling time is? or where can I read on it?

recycling time, IIRC, is the time needed for the flash to be ready for the next firing. the shorter of course the better

Hi, just like to ask.

For taking actual wedding day photo, is 420EX good enough or 550EX better?

And is 28-80mm lens good enough?

Seriously saying, if you do not know what you are going to do, you might be better off with a simple flash until you know what you need. I have this 420EX and it works just as it should. Without me having to play too much with the setting, yet powerful enough for most shots. 80% of the time I do not use flash, kind of spoiled the original lighting or unnatural. Even with 420EX, you can play with flash compensation on your camera and the bounce/swivel on the flash itself. T

Seriously saying, if you do not know what you are going to do, you might be better off with a simple flash until you know what you need.

actually, that kind of attitude will usually means he spends more over the long run trying out "inadequate" equipment then selling it.

--
nonetheless , the 420EX is quite adequate...

kevyan said:
Hi, just like to ask.

For taking actual wedding day photo, is 420EX good enough or 550EX better?

And is 28-80mm lens good enough?

Coming from the perspective of a freelance wedding photographer, a 420ex is sufficient but a 550ex would be more ideal. Reason being the recycling time is absolutely important in capturing more (good) shots. In indoor settings, more often than not, bounced flash would be used and this requires a larger amount of flash power - the recycling time is especially important here. Too slow a recycling time would mean that you'll have to miss some shots due to waiting for the flash to recharge.

As for the lens, it depends on which body you're talking about. For a 1.6x fov body, ideal lenses would be 17-40L, 15-30, 18-50, etc. for indoor shots.

not a canon person....but i tink for ya budget a 550 ex will be great.....

loupgarou said:
actually, that kind of attitude will usually means he spends more over the long run trying out "inadequate" equipment then selling it.

--
nonetheless , the 420EX is quite adequate...

Not really more in the long run. I believe in working with constraint. There are a lot of better equipment so you can take better pictures, but does it means you cannot take good pictures with lousier equipment? Seriously he have not tried the flash he may not even know if he needs a bigger one. I believe that the thread starter already knows what he wants to buy, just need some confirmation here and there or else he will not state his budget, knowing that the 550EX and 580EX falls into this range :)

I was once told to get orginal flash for whatever brand your camera is.
the third party flash till date still dont seems to be working well with most digi slr.

jtnet said:
I was once told to get orginal flash for whatever brand your camera is.
the third party flash till date still dont seems to be working well with most digi slr.

Hmm..almost true.
I did try a few 3rd party flashes on D100 in the past, the D-TTL support on them wasnt as good as the SB-80DX (inconsisitent), then again.

Newer models are out and the 3rd party makers might have improved on the i-TTL and E-TTL in the case for Canon.

I usually treat 3rd party flashes for cameras as a budget alternative. If budget permit, i try to go for the camera's brand's flash.

frostyIntrepid said:
hmm, anyone know whether the 550EX wif a battery pack will have a better recycling time as compared to sigma?

550ex itself recycles faster than the sigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.