Status
Not open for further replies.

JimDavis

Mar 15, 2004
Bedok
Hi All

I got reply from Suntax on their external flash trigger voltage:

====================================
The current A version has high voltage of about 250.
The T and DT version has low trigger voltage of about 3.8.

So for those who got the "AZ" flash, make sure you do not use it on your digital cam, else, cross your fingers...

It is 25v and not 250V, right? :confused:

Panasonic says 24V for FZ20 and now Suntax 328AZ triggers at 25V. Shouldn't be much of a problem, right? :think:

Zenten said:
It is 25v and not 250V, right? :confused:

Panasonic says 24V for FZ20 and now Suntax 328AZ triggers at 25V. Shouldn't be much of a problem, right? :think:

I am afraid it is 250, as shown in the reply from Suntax below. That's why he mentioned TZ model which is 3.8v and safe for digital camera.
That's why I went to exchange my 328AZ to 328DTZ with $10 more.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=875912#post875912

JimDavis said:
Hi All

So for those who got the "AZ" flash, make sure you do not use it on your digital cam, else, cross your fingers...

Wah....250V can toast FZ20... :bsmilie:

Howdy said:
I am afraid it is 250, as shown in the reply from Suntax below. That's why he mentioned TZ model which is 3.8v and safe for digital camera.
That's why I went to exchange my 328AZ to 328DTZ with $10 more.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=875912#post875912

Yup, confirmed the trigger voltage is 250v, not 25v, nor 2.5v.

I am lucky that there is such discussion in here, I checked with MS, and MS suggested me to call up Suntax to check before I purchase.

Looks like I will need to get 328DTZ already.

JimDavis said:
Yup, confirmed the trigger voltage is 250v, not 25v, nor 2.5v.

I am lucky that there is such discussion in here, I checked with MS, and MS suggested me to call up Suntax to check before I purchase.

Looks like I will need to get 328DTZ already.

Yup. I bought the 382DTZ from AP after reading Howdy's posting.

Cheers
John

Changed my AZ to DTZ, paid $10 more. Thanks JimDavis and Howdy. :)

donkuok said:
what is the cheapest price can get?

I just got the extrenal flash from AP, cost me S$60...Seems like I am not their regular, so no discount or what-so-ever...

Sorry... A bit confused here... So the final conclusion is that the suntax 328DTZ is the flash to go for the fz20? If yes, I'll be getting it reaaalll soon...

Advise please... ;p

happytikus said:
Sorry... A bit confused here... So the final conclusion is that the suntax 328DTZ is the flash to go for the fz20? If yes, I'll be getting it reaaalll soon...

Advise please... ;p

I got 328DTZ cos Suntax said that those DTZ models are low voltage...

Alright... Thanks... I heard that it's not that simple to use the flash. Something about having to manually set the aperture and not very user friendly. Is that true? :dunno:

happytikus said:

Advise please... ;p

Based on Suntax's Anthony Wong reply - 328TZ or 328DTZ are having trigger voltage 3.8v and are suitable for digital camera, I went to change for the TZ model - however, I was given the DTZ model instead which I checked with Anthony Wong. He explained they are the same except D means dedicated which is suitable for Nikon, canon, etc as well. The connection portion have more trigger buttons which can be used on ISO and other camera hotshoe.

Features is identical with the following, except trigger voltage :
http://dcam.dc-accessories.com/loc0-suntax-flash.html

usage - not much yet, so far still on trial and error as the manual is not very user friendly for amateur.

btw got an omnibounce for $5 from AP too.
http://www.weekai.com/info/bouncecompare/

Haha.. That was really helpful. Thanks... :) Main reason why I wanna get a external flash is to take better indoor shots without having to worry about lighting... Hope that this works. :sweat:

JimDavis said:
Hi All

Does it mean regardless of the model number, so long ended with DT e.g. 9000DT, 9800DT has low trigger voltage??
I actually own a 9800DT dunno it can be used on my FZ20.. :sweat:

the flash so many manual setting to do...which one shall we use? Auto mode or manual mode. dunno how to use the red/blue setting.

donkuok said:
the flash so many manual setting to do...which one shall we use? Auto mode or manual mode. dunno how to use the red/blue setting.

IF you are the "amatuer" user for external flash like me, you should set your FZ10/FZ20 at the "external flash" to "preset".

At the same time, if you want to use f2.8, you should switch to the red dot at the front of the flash. If you switch to blue dot, it will be f5.6.

Aparts from that, the bounce head should be adjusted to STD 50 if you are not using any WCON or TCON lense.

Once that's done, just try a few shots with different angle in the bounce head to determine if it gets over or under exposure, and once you have done it, more or less, you are already an "amatuer external flash user". ;)

I am still trying to study the rest of the setting, think should be able to figure it out soon...

JimDavis said:
IF you are the "amatuer" user for external flash like me, you should set your FZ10/FZ20 at the "external flash" to "preset".

At the same time, if you want to use f2.8, you should switch to the red dot at the front of the flash. If you switch to blue dot, it will be f5.6.

Aparts from that, the bounce head should be adjusted to STD 50 if you are not using any WCON or TCON lense.

Once that's done, just try a few shots with different angle in the bounce head to determine if it gets over or under exposure, and once you have done it, more or less, you are already an "amatuer external flash user". ;)

I am still trying to study the rest of the setting, think should be able to figure it out soon...

Thanks for your valuable info. I am using manual setting as I want to control the aperture setting

donkuok said:
Thanks for your valuable info. I am using manual setting as I want to control the aperture setting

Opppssss...sorry...cannot help you at the moment... :dunno:

I just got my Suntax 328DTZ today! :gbounce:

Tried it out with some indoor shots and quite satisfied with it. But yah... the red/blue dots and stuff on the flash is quite confusing. Tried to figure it out but don't see much difference in the shots leh...

Hope someone can offer advice... ;p

Anyway, I bought the diffuser also... Very Very useful. I tried taking pics with and without it. The harshness of a typical flash shot was greatly reduced. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.