External Flash lifespan


Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

New Member
Oct 7, 2002
396
0
0
36
Singapore bo gway hai!
Visit site
#1
Im curious how long does an average external flash last....

I read some pple who said something like each flash cost 4cents..

meaning flashes have limited no. of flash till they die off?
 

djork

New Member
Jul 14, 2002
1,157
0
0
Hong Kong, Pokfulam
Visit site
#2
Originally posted by Revo
Im curious how long does an average external flash last....

I read some pple who said something like each flash cost 4cents..

meaning flashes have limited no. of flash till they die off?

wo... if 1 single flash is 4 cents, think about red eye reduction manz.. hehe

yeah, all flashes have a life span, and for me i try to avoid buying 2nd hand flashes which are rather used.
 

Zerstorer

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2002
3,437
0
0
#3
Originally posted by Revo
I read some pple who said something like each flash cost 4cents..
I think that specific person was referring to the cost of replacing his CR123 batteries for each shot.

Don't think you effectively can gauge how long a flash may last.
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
39
East
www.weekai.com
#4
yes he was referring to the depreciation of the batteries, not the flash. Don't worry. ;)
 

#6
Yes, there is a lifespan, if I am not wrong, it's rated by the number of full power blasts. And it will last enough for you to eventually upgrade. I got a 15 year old Vivitar 2800D which is still working....

Regards
CK
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#7
anyone replaced a bulb before? I couldn't find it on the web... lol otherwise besides stacking teleconverters can also make bulb arrays...
 

#12
Originally posted by Tweek


why leh?
Simple, flash tubes usually don't fail. And after they've fired enough times to have failed, the other circuitry inside the flash would have experienced quite a bit wear and tear as well, particularly on the charge capacitor inside.

Regards
CK
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
39
East
www.weekai.com
#13
Originally posted by ckiang


Simple, flash tubes usually don't fail. And after they've fired enough times to have failed, the other circuitry inside the flash would have experienced quite a bit wear and tear as well, particularly on the charge capacitor inside.

Regards
CK
i see....my flash tube failed, but the circuitry and everything were ok. I guess my unit is a bad lot that skipped the QA test...:D
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#14
yeah been reading about sigma's sample variance very jialat... is that why some ppl hate sigma some love it? depend on an item's quality they got..
 

#15
Originally posted by Tweek


i see....my flash tube failed, but the circuitry and everything were ok. I guess my unit is a bad lot that skipped the QA test...:D
Possible. :) Always buy a reputable brand. If you can, your camera brand. Though it's usually more expensive.

OT : Speaking of QC test, a friend of mine shared a little anecdote of his - he ever installed and I/O card (remember those?) in the old days which didn't work. Then he realized the entire I/O chip isn't on it at all. On the card is a sticker saying "QC Passed". :bsmilie:

Regards
CK
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom