External Flash for Pan FZ10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallel

Feb 13, 2004
May I know what external flashes are you guys using for the F-Z10?? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Anyone? :)

Parallel said:

I'm using the Vivitar 283 flash, a powerfull flash. But I think you can consider getting the Sunpax, can't remember the model but it cost only S$50+.

awongkk said:
I'm using the Vivitar 283 flash, a powerfull flash. But I think you can consider getting the Sunpax, can't remember the model but it cost only S$50+.

Have not heard of Vivitar 283 before. Only heard of 285. How much is it? Can the strength of the flash be controlled manually or via camera?

Hey kewl!

Some other FZtanners using 283s and 285s!

I myself use a new 285HV. Have been using 285HVs for over 10 years and can safely say that nothing comes close for the price!

I believe the 283 was the 'pro' photojournalist model back in the 70's? :dunno:

Parallel said:

You may wanna look at Metz 36-C2. It's fantastic! ;)

424.jpg

sooming said:

424.jpg

How much is it ?

Saw the Pana flash which have slave mode @CP for S$220 :)

The Metz 36-C2 shouldn't cost more than S$125, since it can be bought at RM280 here in KL. It can operate in full manual or Auto (teleaperture mode @ f4, f5.6 and f8).

Hi Feinwerkbau,

How do you use the 285HV on the FZ10? The apeture setting is different, the ISO values are different so how to set the flash? or am I mistaken?

Appreciate your advise.

CY

I have tried using SB28 with FZ10, the result was excellence, after upgrading to SB800 (for my Nikon D70), I also get excellence result:

1. In FZ-10, I set the external fresh mode to Manual, this is important, if not when FZ-10 detects an external fresh, it will set everything to auto, that is: ISO100, F2.8, speed 1/60.

2. I usually set the dial to "ASM", and in the menu I select "Apperture". My favourate setting is ISO200, I usually set apperture manually and let the camera adjust the speed accordly.

3. Ensure that the SB800 or SB28 is set to ISO200, Apperture must be similar to that of the camera. FZ-10 speed setting is aways default to 1/60 when external fresh is detected unless you use speed priority. Fresh must be set to Auto mode, TTL mode will not work in this case.

4. I guess similar methology should apply to other fresh. It must be an Automatic fresh, ensure you set the FZ-10 similar to "1" above. Ensure ISO and Apperture is similar to FZ-10 setting, it should work perfectly.

Just to update this thread.
I was using the Unomat B24 a couple of times on my FZ10 with no problems. Then I came across this threads about the triggering voltages of external flash. Since this model is not reviewed in any of the thread, I thought those who have it might be interested to know that the triggering voltage is 207v as stated by the manufacturer.
But they did say that it was safe for use on the FZ10 which is confusing me. Wonder if they are pulling a fast one. I am still awaiting a confirmation reply from them regarding this. In the mean time, I am using my old SB26 which I find to be extremely accurate when selected to auto.

You might wanna get the Suntax 328DTZ at around $50 to $60.
Check for more info of flashes for FZ10/20 in the Lumix FAQ thread. :)

I finally got a reply from the Unomat manufacturer. Their take on the triggering voltage is that though the triggering voltage is rated at 207volts, it remains within the flash unit and does not affect the camera.
I am not sure whether that correct or not or how to actually take a reading.
I used a multi-meter and checked the voltage at the hot shoe connector when the flash was fully charged and it read over 150volts. However, with my SB26, the voltage reading was only a little over 1.5volts.
Think I will stick with my SB26 though its a lot bulkier.

I use the vivitar 285hv also with the FZ-20.

Yeah the aperture does not match but put the flash on the hotshoe, camera will preset to f2.8, 1/60, iso 100 if i am not wrong. I set the flash to the yellow setting. (documentation should be f2.0, 1/60, iso 100) results are still okay. Exposure a bit under but still can do.

Thinking now of sticking tape over the light sensor so the flash outputs a bit more to like f2.8.

Will post pictures taken if anyone is interested.

zenesh said:
I use the vivitar 285hv also with the FZ-20.

Yeah the aperture does not match but put the flash on the hotshoe, camera will preset to f2.8, 1/60, iso 100 if i am not wrong. I set the flash to the yellow setting. (documentation should be f2.0, 1/60, iso 100) results are still okay. Exposure a bit under but still can do.

Thinking now of sticking tape over the light sensor so the flash outputs a bit more to like f2.8.

Will post pictures taken if anyone is interested.

U still can change the flash option in the camera from preset to manual, then u have more control on the camera side...

sooming said:

424.jpg

Any idea what is the trigger voltage? Wonder if this is available here.

Metz 32Z1 would be a better flash than the 36C2. 32Z1 can swivel horizontally and tilt vertically and costs ~$100-120 used.

Fully agreed. Am using a Metz 32Z1 with a FZ20 too.
Nothin' beats a Metz. IMHO. :heart: :heart: :heart:

mpenza said:
Metz 32Z1 would be a better flash than the 36C2. 32Z1 can swivel horizontally and tilt vertically and costs ~$100-120 used.

After some testing, I think my SB26 mates very well with my FZ10. Too bad the rear curtain sync doesn't work with this camera. :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.