External Flash for Overseas Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jklo

Feb 12, 2006
Hi guys

I will be going for a two week holidays somewhere in middle east soon. Will bring along both my general walk-around lens (EFS 17-85mm IS) plus a tele-zoom lens. I will most probably bring along my tripod. Already the weight is adding up, so I am not sure if bringing an external flash for an overseas travel is a good idea.

Do you guys normally bring along your external flash for holidays? Or just the camera n lens only to travel light?

Thanks

Depends on whether you plan to do any shooting where a flash is required (and allowed), doesn't it? If I'm bringing a tripod, I certainly wouldn't balk at carrying a flash. I usually carry my flash around in my camera bag.

For me i probably do not need it but i still carry one around whenever i go traveling :)

Ryan

if you need to take photos for your partners or family, than under some backlight situations you would need flash. After all you are already so serious about the trip, that you would bring a tripod, dont save that extra 300g to risk those opporunity shots that you may need a flash.

I usually bring my flash for all my travels, more often than my tripod. Travelling light is relative. With DSLR, it is never as light as a compact. My tripod is usually in my luggage, until I need them. My flash is always in my bag, together with my camera, lenses and accessories. I use my flash more often than I do my tripod

TS, it really depends on your trip itenary, and what kind of shots you take. Is this your first time travelling with gear? You have to plan ahead.

if you need to take photos for your partners or family, than under some backlight situations you would need flash. After all you are already so serious about the trip, that you would bring a tripod, dont save that extra 300g to risk those opporunity shots that you may need a flash.

Yup, taking pictures for fellow travelers is a major factor in considering a flash. Just thinking if the built-in flash would suffice:confused:

I usually bring my flash for all my travels, more often than my tripod. Travelling light is relative. With DSLR, it is never as light as a compact. My tripod is usually in my luggage, until I need them. My flash is always in my bag, together with my camera, lenses and accessories. I use my flash more often than I do my tripod

TS, it really depends on your trip itenary, and what kind of shots you take. Is this your first time travelling with gear? You have to plan ahead.

Yes, this will be my first overseas travel with gear, for a full 2 weeks for the matter. Hey, what kind of shots do you use your flash for in travels? Do you use them often other than for people shots of family & friends? Thanks.

Yes, this will be my first overseas travel with gear, for a full 2 weeks for the matter. Hey, what kind of shots do you use your flash for in travels? Do you use them often other than for people shots of family & friends? Thanks.

I see. You can pack more and leave in the luggage if you don't need them for the walkabout.

Well, mostly for street, people, family & friends, food, stills, architecture, etc. I usually use the external flash as fill in for indoors or outdoors, and to balance the lighting. The built-in flash is not strong enough to reach far enough for me.

A flash might be useful taking shots of ur other companion ;).

But I hardly use it on other street subjects because it can be pretty intrusive.

Ryan

I see. You can pack more and leave in the luggage if you don't need them for the walkabout.

Well, mostly for street, people, family & friends, food, stills, architecture, etc. I usually use the external flash as fill in for indoors or outdoors, and to balance the lighting. The built-in flash is not strong enough to reach far enough for me.

Thanks...
:think: Don't think I will use the flash for street. Haven't really done architecture shots... Well, I don't think I will really know until I try it out. Will most prob bring the flash then:cool: If it doesn't suit me the first few days, it will remain in the luggage. Tks for the advice

A flash might be useful taking shots of ur other companion ;).

But I hardly use it on other street subjects because it can be pretty intrusive.

Ryan

Will keep that in mind:) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.