External Flash for Olympus DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Posted a similar thread in Consumers Corner...

I managed to setup an external flash for my C700uz last weekend, and completed it with a flash bracket from CP today. The flash unit is Vivitar 285HV (GN120 ft), sync cable is FL-CB04, flash bracket is U.N Type I Flash Bracket (made in Japan). The setup is as below:

flashsetup.jpg

sorry for the bad editting, did this hastily

The flash bracket looks like this when folded up:
flashbracket.jpg

Very handy, small enough to keep in the bag, quick setting up.

Vivitar 285HV - $140 from Fotoguide
FL-CB04 - $88 from AP
Flash Bracket - $17 from CP

Very satisfied with the flash results.....bounce flash works very well too, and exposure is accurate. Can't wait to try it out for concert/performance shoots.

Vivitar 285HV - $140 from Fotoguide
FL-CB04 - $88 from AP
Flash Bracket - $17 from CP

The above can be used for my C2040Z too Tweek? The FL-CB04 is the Oly cord Kevin was mentioning is it?

But wow.....still quite exp ah...didn't know getting an external flash is so exp.... :(

External flash can be cheap. You can get one for <<$50 and it'll work fine (just that it's not as powerful).

Originally posted by Blitz
The above can be used for my C2040Z too Tweek? The FL-CB04 is the Oly cord Kevin was mentioning is it?

But wow.....still quite exp ah...didn't know getting an external flash is so exp.... :(

yes blitz, the exact same setup can be used for C-2040Z. And like what KC said, you can get a cheaper flash with lower power, but make sure it has a PC cord connection (some that I checked out that day don't have).

in my opinion, the flash is not the killer in price...it's the olympus cable!! ;(

Originally posted by Tweek

yes blitz, the exact same setup can be used for C-2040Z. And like what KC said, you can get a cheaper flash with lower power, but make sure it has a PC cord connection (some that I checked out that day don't have).

in my opinion, the flash is not the killer in price...it's the olympus cable!! ;(

Yeah lor a cable like that cost $88~$90??!?! ;(

Originally posted by mpenza
External flash can be cheap. You can get one for <<$50 and it'll work fine (just that it's not as powerful).

Anyone with PC Cord to recommend KC?

I'm not too familar with flash :(

I'm a newbie too when it comes to flash.

The Vivitar 285HV used by Tweek is an excellent flash. Only bad point is that it can't swivel.

Achiever has some cheap flash (supporting PC cord) but I'm not too sure about the durability. e.g. Achiever TZ250@S$41.00. It's quite a bit weaker than the Vivitar 285HV though.
http://www.achiever-hk.com/flash/flash.html

if you're concerned about trigger voltages, you could check this out:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Sunpak Super 383 is popular elsewhere but it's not available here according to ckiang :(
http://www.sunpak.com/sunpak.html

Sunpak Super 383 is popular elsewhere but it's not available here according to ckiang :(
http://www.sunpak.com/sunpak.html

yar, Singapore no Sunpak, only has Suntax, which is a local brand I think. :)

Anyway blitz, if you wanna get the Vivitar 285HV, better source for it fast. I checked with so many shops and most of them don't have anymore. I snapped up the last piece at Fotoguide. Perhaps Mustafa still has it, I don't know.

And I never knew it was so difficult finding the perfect flash....most of the shops I went to couldn't even give me something close to what I want.

Metz is a more expensive alternative. However, as they don't support normal PC cord, you'll need to get a hotshoe for it.

That's what I'm using for my config, Casio QV2900UX and Metz 32 Z-1.

If you don't mind 2nd hand ones, you could also check out the 2nd hand shops in Peninsula area. The Camera Workshop was recommended to me previously.

Metz is a more expensive alternative. However, as they don't support normal PC cord, you'll need to get a hotshoe for it.

That's what I'm using for my config, Casio QV2900UX and Metz 32 Z-1.

If you don't mind 2nd hand ones, you could also check out the 2nd hand shops in Peninsula area. The Camera Workshop was recommended to me previously.

KC, so how did you connect your metz to your bracket? Does your bracket have a dummy hotshoe or hotshoe with contacts?

My bracket has a dummy hotshoe. I put a "contact hotshoe" on it for the flash. So far so good :) I'm happy with the results I got.

My bracket has a dummy hotshoe. I put a "contact hotshoe" on it for the flash. So far so good :) I'm happy with the results I got.

oh so you sort of modified the bracket? I'm thinking of doing that too actually, but don't know if it will be easy or not, and whether it will be secure.

oh so you sort of modified the bracket? I'm thinking of doing that too actually, but don't know if it will be easy or not, and whether it will be secure.

no lah. didn't modify the bracket. The base of the "contact hotshoe" fits the dummy hotshoe perfectly. Now, I just keep my flash with the "contact hotshoe" on all the time and mount only when necessary (to reduce wear and tear on the flash).

no lah. didn't modify the bracket. The base of the "contact hotshoe" fits the dummy hotshoe perfectly. Now, I just keep my flash with the "contact hotshoe" on all the time and mount only when necessary (to reduce wear and tear on the flash).

i see i see..how much did you get the contact hotshoe for? May want to get it too....

i see i see..how much did you get the contact hotshoe for? May want to get it too....

Cathay Photo got sell. List price $24, you should get it for $12.

Woah...so many types of flash. Thanks KC and Tweek.

Hmm... I'm now considering whether getting a external flash is feasible for me or not (it's a whopping $200++!), cos I don't take human potraits a lot and I sorta sux badly taking portraits shots too :(

How about ur experience KC? You have been using ur digicam with external flash for quite long. Care to share? :)

Thanks!

It's very useful for fashion shots, weddings and indoor conditions. but my camera's built-in flash is super weak in the first place.

what is the range of this flash (Vivitar 285HV - $140 from Fotoguide)?? in terms of meters??

thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.