External Flash for C750

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiVleK

May 15, 2003
Jurong West
daddy.nivlek.per.sg
What external flash do you guys recommend for this model? I read the manual and it says some very frightening things like might spoil camera if use flash other than olympus one.

Help? ;)

Originally posted by NiVleK
What external flash do you guys recommend for this model? I read the manual and it says some very frightening things like might spoil camera if use flash other than olympus one.

Help? ;)

Olympus FL20 and FL40 lor........think Retro is asking for these 2 flashes at AP....maybe you wanna chk with him???

See http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37605

Originally posted by Jayan
Olympus FL20 and FL40 lor........think Retro is asking for these 2 flashes at AP....maybe you wanna chk with him???

See http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37605

That means I am limited to this two flashes? :confused:

Dun have those head can turn up and down one ar? Hehe

The head of the FL40 can swivel ah. :)

you could use other 3rd party flash if you do not mind using the automatic modes on the flash but would still need to get an expensive flash cable from Olympus.

3rd party flash is what I am considering as well ... could anyone shed more light on the brand, costs etc ... also, are there any performance issues?

Considering getting a flash with L-bracket after I get my TCON17

Originally posted by mpenza
you could use other 3rd party flash if you do not mind using the automatic modes on the flash but would still need to get an expensive flash cable from Olympus.

From what I know, using a 3rd party flash will not allow TTL metering to work?

I know TTL is "through the lens" but I still not sure what TTL metering means esp in the context of using flash.

And why do I need a flash cable when the camera already has a hot shoe?? Then connect where?

oops. already got hotshoe then no need for cable. I thought the camera is like the venerable C700UZ.

what you get with TTL flash: fuss free operation. The camera transmits the aperture and ISO settings to the flash and flash exposure is measured via the camera's meter.

what you get with automatic flash: requiring a setting of ISO and aperture when you change the settings on the camera. flash exposure is measured by the flash sensor. The main benefit is that you could get a more powerful flash for less than the price of one of the Olympus ones.

Originally posted by mpenza
oops. already got hotshoe then no need for cable. I thought the camera is like the venerable C700UZ.

what you get with TTL flash: fuss free operation. The camera transmits the aperture and ISO settings to the flash and flash exposure is measured via the camera's meter.

what you get with automatic flash: requiring a setting of ISO and aperture when you change the settings on the camera. flash exposure is measured by the flash sensor. The main benefit is that you could get a more powerful flash for less than the price of one of the Olympus ones.

Ahh...ok...the picture is getting clear.. but will 3rd party flashes spoil the camera as stated in the manual? Or are those just scare tactics to make consumers buy the Olympus ones?

The part about 3rd party flash spoiling the camera is partly true. Some 3rd party flash have very high trigger voltage which can fry the electronics in the camera.. So u'd be better off looking at one which is proven to be safe for use with digital cams.

Originally posted by Retro
My colleague told me to try METZ. Maybe you can check with the shops cos I am really new to all this and am also picking up here and there ....

I just saw the site and there are like so many different types of flashes.

By the way, whats a zoom flash?

I read from dpreview that the Metz 32MZ-3 with a sca3203 adapter can work on the C-750 with TTL. Anyone know how
much these things cost?

Hey NiVleK,
I found the definitive guide for Olympus External flashes!

Since the C-750 has a hot shoe, a bracket or cable is not required for TTL flashes. However, an adapter would be required.

The following are TTL flashes.
Olympus: fl-20, fl-40

Metz: 54 MZ-3, 32 MZ-3, 32 Z-2
*requires SCA 3202 adapter.

Promaster: 5750DX, 5550DX
*requires 1045 adapter.

I don't know what the Singapore prices are, but I am looking for a flash for the C-750.

Here's the link:
http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html

Status
Not open for further replies.