External DVD Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

helm

Jan 15, 2005
Hi, need to purchase an external DVD burner to archive data. Any recommendation??
Thanks.

helm said:
Hi, need to purchase an external DVD burner to archive data. Any recommendation??
Thanks.

I'd suggest you get an external housing for a CD/DVD drive mechanism and you can use any burner you like. They're not expensive and you get the advantage of being able to upgrade the mechanism when technology and speeds improve, as they surely will. The 'branded' external burners are not usually upgradeable.

If you shop at SLS, have a look at what Storage Studio has to offer.

I'd prefer a Firewire housing but the high speed USB 2.0 ones have also worked ok for me.

kahheng said:
I'd suggest you get an external housing for a CD/DVD drive mechanism and you can use any burner you like. They're not expensive and you get the advantage of being able to upgrade the mechanism when technology and speeds improve, as they surely will. The 'branded' external burners are not usually upgradeable.

If you shop at SLS, have a look at what Storage Studio has to offer.

I'd prefer a Firewire housing but the high speed USB 2.0 ones have also worked ok for me.

KH,

If I want a device to store data from CF while travelling, what would you recommend? Much prefer to burn directly to CD/DVD rather than a hard disc such as the Epson 2990 or iPod.

There is one external casing that take either 3.5" HDD & 5.25" DVD/CD writer lor....also comes with firewire & USB. :thumbsup:

benq 161i will do. And its the cheapest at ~$150
external burners require usb2.0 to run.

An external casing cost about $70 to $90 depending on the chipset as well as whether it had firewire or not. Firewire is basically similar to USB in that it transfer data, but because it can transfer a lot more data, it is usually used for video transfer. So external casing that have usb 2.0 and firewire can truly burn at 16x and perhaps more( but so far, no higher speed), while those on usb 2.0 can max out at 12x only.
However, these devices are more for the hardware inclined because they might not work with certain motherboards, have power problems etc, etc. Then u have to factor in the cost of the Dvd writer which adds another $90- to $150.

I do not recommend this unless u need that cutting edge technology.

. Upgrade? from 16x to 24x? it will probably save u 3 mins of burning time..and in the process, u might get more coasters because of burning at high speed.

So just buy a simple ready made external burner and it can last quite a few years already.

student said:
KH,

If I want a device to store data from CF while travelling, what would you recommend? Much prefer to burn directly to CD/DVD rather than a hard disc such as the Epson 2990 or iPod.

Hi student,

I am using the Digimate ... you may wanna check it or something similar like those OTG (On-the-go) stuffs out at SLS. It's very convenient for travelling as you do not need to lug along your notebook.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DIGIMATEII-PLUS&cat=GDT

Royce said:
Sony DRU-800A.

Hi, I'm using a Sony DRU-720 in a USB2.0 housing. Problem is this drive doesn't seem to like "unbranded" DVD-R/RWs ... turn out "coasters"!. Not sure if it is the drive's problem. If you check out the web-site, SONY does recommend branded disk manufacturers for their drives!

catseye said:
Hi student,

I am using the Digimate ... you may wanna check it or something similar like those OTG (On-the-go) stuffs out at SLS. It's very convenient for travelling as you do not need to lug along your notebook.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DIGIMATEII-PLUS&cat=GDT

Thanks

Where is SLS? (Sim Lim Square?)

catseye said:
Hi, I'm using a Sony DRU-720 in a USB2.0 housing. Problem is this drive doesn't seem to like "unbranded" DVD-R/RWs ... turn out "coasters"!. Not sure if it is the drive's problem. If you check out the web-site, SONY does recommend branded disk manufacturers for their drives!
I don't use ubranded media. Never had one coaster from the drive. :)

benq writer. cheap and good hehe.

student said:
KH,

The only one that I know of is the Roadstor Pro

http://www.micro-solutions.com/products/datasheets/lit-401020.asp

I do not know what the CF transfer rates actually are, maybe you can hunt down a review online - I think it's very important that you find this out, because a lot of the older CF to CD-ROM standalone burners were rather pokey in actual writing performance, more due to the slow CF to CD transfer speeds, than the actual max speeds the burner mechanisms were capable of.

Not sure if you can actually buy it here (I don't keep track of these things unfortunately)

Hmm, maybe ask around here some more or pop down to SLS or Funan and have a look. That or simply mail order the item. It'll likely come with universal voltage adaptation for the wall wart transformer (but you should ask) since it's meant for travel.

Hey why don't you write Micro Solutions and find out if they have an agent in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.