External Backup storage drive to backup photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Thanks for your reply. I have already read those threads.

I intend to use the portable hard-disk to store all my photos once my CF card is filled up, since a 120 gig hard disk is definitely much cheaper than getting 120 1 gig CF cards.

Do you think that this method is safe? What i am afraid is that all the data will be gone if my hard disk is corrupted. What do you guys think?

Do you think that this method is safe? What i am afraid is that all the data will be gone if my hard disk is corrupted. What do you guys think?

There is always the risk of data corruption with any hard disk. There is also the other risk of incomplete data transfer from CF card to OTG drive.

For data corruption, the way is to back up data to more than one OTG drive or notebook hard drives like those who went to Antartica for photo shoot.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I have already read those threads.

I intend to use the portable hard-disk to store all my photos once my CF card is filled up, since a 120 gig hard disk is definitely much cheaper than getting 120 1 gig CF cards.

When they corrupt, you are in a way... quite screwed but it could be salvaged. So try to get a good one especially with image viewing (RAW) because sometimes, you just need to practice some degree of house keeping once in a while even on your trip or better still some form of review on being in a new environment (e.g. first time in winter scenes).

What worries me is that you want to get 120gb (unelss you're shooting med format) which alot of photos to risk losing, this is definitely not recommended. These OTG drives are meant to be temporary storage, afterwhich it's recommended to copy into other storage e.g. your PC. Portable harddrives drives e.g. Lacie doesn't have direct CF access but they are typically built tougher with shock resistant etc if you want to store longer term.

Do not underestimate the entertainment value of such a devices too if you could squeeze in a couple of movies in there to play onto TV; it helps when you're alone, its raining and only TV programs are series dubbed single female voice Vietnamese. Also, consider battery as some trips e.g. trekking have little power supply during the trip.

To give you an idea of what i have, travel extensively ranging 4 up to 20 days mainly away from cities. I have TWO 8gb cards (800+ RAW for me, for 4 days) in addition to my Creative Zen 30gb (for longer trips that afford me about 3000+ RAW, for 20 days) which is useful. Why 8gb? IF and a realistic IF, my OTG fails... i switch to JPG but still have 2000+ shots, so you might want to plan that way too. I also ensure i bring my USB cable to hook up my OTG to computer even when i don't bring a laptop (something like that happen to me when i was in Tibet to realised that I couldn't delete my RAW files directly from my ZEN because my ZEN simply couldn't see my files, i switched to JPG and deleted ALL my MP3s.. blah!).

I hope to replace the Zen with Epson P5000 because of the RAW format and more space. i simply don't have time to review and delete the pics until maybe end of each day and 30gb is simply not enough, even with rigorous housekeeping. Also considering blue-ray or new DVD format for permanent backups.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.