Extent of Post Processing

alzidaney

Oct 14, 2010
Hi, been lurking here for a really really long time coz I was borrowing equipments off people for assignments and didn't really felt a need to post. But just got a 550d recently and been happy with it.

Anyway, this question been burning on my mind.

To what extent do you guys indulge in post processing? Like I know some say its to "what you want" or somesort. (
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729295&highlight=post+processing )
But like I'm asking, when do you guys know when to stop? Or when's too much? Like for me, I prefer to get the skin tones the way I want it and then adjust the colours according to a particular palette. But sometimes I just like to like pump up the colours and get a surreal look.
But like, for print, what's like the acceptable amount of PP that can be done? Or do people just accept whatever looks nice? coz i've never printed my photos before.
Thanks! Hope to learn more from around here.

yah i know, i searched the forums. but im not asking how to do it or whether its important. i do it, but im just wondering like when do you say stop or when's too much pp. hope its not too much of a bother.

yah i know, i searched the forums. but im not asking how to do it or whether its important. i do it, but im just wondering like when do you say stop or when's too much pp. hope its not too much of a bother.

Problem is, it depends on each individual. Do what you think is the limit... You cannot please everyone, just please yourself.

One big point stressed for eternity is: what is the purpose of the image? Mainly this defines when it's too much. If you make $ out of images (e.g. wedding) then your clients will tell you when it's too much. If it's for journalism or other form of hard evidence then "too much" is already reached at much earlier stage, even cropping can be "no no". If you try some HDR imaging then you need much more processing steps then any holiday snapshot needs - and still it's a question of personal taste when it is too much. Some like it 'radioactive', some prefer comic style, others still try to match what they see / perceive when looking at the scene with naked eye. Hope that shows that there is no hard and fast rule .. but a lot of dependencies.

Although most of us seek authenticity more noble and true, but oftentimes much of photography is being that of presenting your point of view. There is too much scope in this.
We debate ethics of things, and because there is no one answer, so it is still debatable.

Ansel Adams' photos underwent lots of post processing as well. And many people love them.
Just do what you intend to do and like to do, and hopefully others find it agreeable with what you did ;).

Ryan

If you are taking photos as a hobby > do whatever PP that pleases you.
If you are taking photos for your clients > do whatever PP that "pleases" them.

So bottomline is, don't fret too much over to PP or not to PP, too much PP or to little. The pertinent question should be what you want to convey.

There are photographers who are extremist on both ends. Photographers like new reporters does minimal processing and reflects only the facts. Photographers like Dave Hill are like visual artistes, taking multiple images, processing them and putting parts of each together into one final image. They've created composite images where the truth has been distorted. There is no limit, no right or wrong. Process the right images for the right purposes the right way. :)

Last edited:
Although most of us seek authenticity more noble and true, but oftentimes much of photography is being that of presenting your point of view. There is too much scope in this.
We debate ethics of things, and because there is no one answer, so it is still debatable.

Ansel Adams' photos underwent lots of post processing as well. And many people love them.
Just do what you intend to do and like to do, and hopefully others find it agreeable with what you did ;).

Ryan

just to add, Dave Hill, Anni Lebovitz and Jill Greenberg's photo are idolized by many and it went through a lot of post processing and manipulations.

you can't always please everyone.
some pp are either you love it or you hate it.
believe in what you do bro.

:)

Last edited:
Like a lot of photography, it's about taste and experience.

Taste is of course subjective. If you have an audience/client to please, then their taste is most important. Sometimes you won't know and just have to go with what pleases most people, most of the time.

How do photos translate to print? Experience. The best way to find out is to print them! After a while you get the hang of it, and know which details are going to come out and which are going to be lost, how your colours are rendered etc.

Generally,
I would say... do until you feel it's too much, then drop back to about 80%

Hi, been lurking here for a really really long time coz I was borrowing equipments off people for assignments and didn't really felt a need to post. But just got a 550d recently and been happy with it.

Anyway, this question been burning on my mind.

To what extent do you guys indulge in post processing? Like I know some say its to "what you want" or somesort. (
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729295&highlight=post+processing )
But like I'm asking, when do you guys know when to stop? Or when's too much? Like for me, I prefer to get the skin tones the way I want it and then adjust the colours according to a particular palette. But sometimes I just like to like pump up the colours and get a surreal look.
But like, for print, what's like the acceptable amount of PP that can be done? Or do people just accept whatever looks nice? coz i've never printed my photos before.
Thanks! Hope to learn more from around here.

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. You are the beholder, therein, hold the answer.

You are the artist painting with light. You decide on the extent of post processing needed to get the kind of "art" you want.

It is however influenced by your changing preference, refinement of your techniques, customer demands and their expectations (they pay you, so they are your boss), colleagues artistic differences (if working in a team), ... ...

And some will like your style but not all will like. It's natural.