Not open for further replies.

xintothezonex

Oct 20, 2008
East Side
Hie to all..
Im using D300 and I have 70-200mm 2.8 VR and I like to know if this lens
can use any extension tube to do macro shoots,
for example insects and flowers?
I have been searching few threads on extension tube and there are a few questions I would
like to clarify before I decided to get one.

Im sorry if any of the questions is noob..
1. Can 70-200mm 2.8 VR lens can use extension tube?
1. Is there any nikon extension tube
2. Other extension tube like for example kenko extension tube, where can buy it other than buy/sell?
3. How to test the extension tube together with the lens? What should I look out for?
4. How to take macro insect, eg. flying dragonfly? Using tripod or just hand carry?

Any other related topics on macro lens can also highlight with me.
Pics of yr the extension tube attached to a lens can post in here as well.
You can also share some of yr photos taken with lens attached with the extension tubes only.

Thanks.. Really appreciate any help you can share with me or those viewing this thread.
:D

Hie to all..
Im using D300 and I have 70-200mm 2.8 VR and I like to know if this lens
can use any extension tube to do macro shoots,
for example insects and flowers?
I have been searching few threads on extension tube and there are a few questions I would
like to clarify before I decided to get one.

Im sorry if any of the questions is noob..

YES

No. Third Party like Kenko.

2. Other extension tube like for example kenko extension tube, where can buy it other than buy/sell?

Most shops eg John 3:16

3. How to test the extension tube together with the lens? What should I look out for?

There's nothing to test. There's no glass or anything. It's just a holo metalic connector

4. How to take macro insect, eg. flying dragonfly? Using tripod or just hand carry?

Tripod, unless your stamina is superb. This is because the DOF is EXTREMELY shallow. Have to use F18 or sumthing. In addition, you lose a lot of lights due to the extension tube. need high ISO.

Any other related topics on macro lens can also highlight with me.
Pics of yr the extension tube attached to a lens can post in here as well.
You can also share some of yr photos taken with lens attached with the extension tubes only.

Thanks.. Really appreciate any help you can share with me or those viewing this thread.
:D

I will dig out some photos :)

I'm no macro expert and these were my virgin shots so please give me some room.

DSC_5654.jpg

DSC_5710.jpg

DSC_5729.jpg

DSC_5742.jpg

All taken with 70-200 VR with extension tube.

What I've heard/read is that at longer focal lengths, extension tubes don't make as much difference as using close-up filters. At longer focal lengths, you already lose a couple of stops of light, so reducing more light using extension tubes is not really wanted.

On the other hand, if you use shorter focal lengths (50mm, 85mm etc), close-up filters do not have as much effect as extension tubes.

In short, for the "best" combination:
-short focal lengths (below 100mm), use extension tubes.
-long focal lengths, use close-up filters.

Of course, then u get the issue of "another piece of glass will affect the image quality", which I personally don't care about.

And 99% or more of my macro shots are handheld (with flash, of course). =) Hope this helps. You can see some of my macros from my signature's link.

Cheers!

Thanks chisiang..
thanks for the advised.
is there anything else that u can advise me on how to take macro shots?

What I've heard/read is that at longer focal lengths, extension tubes don't make as much difference as using close-up filters. At longer focal lengths, you already lose a couple of stops of light, so reducing more light using extension tubes is not really wanted.

On the other hand, if you use shorter focal lengths (50mm, 85mm etc), close-up filters do not have as much effect as extension tubes.

In short, for the "best" combination:
-short focal lengths (below 100mm), use extension tubes.
-long focal lengths, use close-up filters.

Of course, then u get the issue of "another piece of glass will affect the image quality", which I personally don't care about.

And 99% or more of my macro shots are handheld (with flash, of course). =) Hope this helps. You can see some of my macros from my signature's link.

Cheers!

so u are saying using the 70-200mm lens is not advisable to get macro shots?
best is to get a macro lens itself to do the shoot itself is that you are advising me?
btw i viewed yr site and its very nice..
so what lens you used for the macro shots?
thanks..
:)

Shooting macro is about 2 things:

1) magnification
2) working distance

You need to know your subjects before you can decide what works for you. For insects working distance is very important. It typically means longer focal length lens, and working out how to get closer.

Using extension tube you need to push you lens out by equivalent of your focal length to get 1:1 magnification. E.g. 50mm with 50mm extension gets you 1:1, or 25mm extension gets you 1:2. 1:2 means half of live size on the sensor. So if a bug measures 36mm long, 1:1 means on an FX sensor the bug will fill the length of the frame.

But, working distance kicks in. Using the 60mm macro lens you have very limited working distance, although you usually can get to 1:1, but if you subject is not a stamp or something that sits still when you poke your lens at it, it is likely to be gone. Not to mention actually poking your lens onto a tree trunk.

So with 70-210mm you need an aweful lot of extension to get the magnification you want, if you want high magnification. At 200mm and 50mm extension you get 1:4. But you get good working distance.

If you are using DX camera then close up filter might work also - edges are usually very soft but not sure if DX crop takes care of that (have not used close up filters for ages). The other alternative are the achromatic closeup lenses by Nikon and Canon. Nikon ones are called 3T, 4T, 5T, 6T, Canon ones 500D and 350D if not mistaken. They are expensive (I think they go for about $200 each) and Nikon no longer makes them, and only available in 52mm and 62mm although Canon have them in all sizes, but hard to find. I bought mine (Nikon 5T and Canon 500D) in Japan. Nikon used infrequently, Canon not even once. Now I use Nikon Micros 60 and 105.

If you want to get magnification and working distance then macro lenses are the only way out. Many of them do the trick by shortening the focal length when getting near 1:1.

Oh the further you push your lens out by extension tube the more light is lost (due to longer path to sensor) - gets awefully dark very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
so u are saying using the 70-200mm lens is not advisable to get macro shots?
best is to get a macro lens itself to do the shoot itself is that you are advising me?
btw i viewed yr site and its very nice..
so what lens you used for the macro shots?
thanks..
:)

Hi! Firstly, thank you for your kind words. I have to say most of my macros from the link in my signature are taken using a Panasonic FZ20 and 2 Nikon 6T's (the apochromatic close-up filters mentioned).

As for using a 70-200mm lens for macro, no, I'm not saying it is not advisable. In fact, now that I have a D300, I got myself an old 75-300 lens too, and I use my close-up filters with it with good results!

This was a recent shoot at the Botanic Gardens with my 75-300 + 6T's setup. I think the magnification is great! If you notice the Grasshopper Nymphs (picture number 5), their actual size was about 1-2mm only. My lens was maxed out at 300mm and depth of field was really thin. But you get the picture. At 200mm, you probably can't get something that small, but you would still get decent macros of insects. Working distance isn't as good as a 150mm, 180mm, or 200mm dedicated macro lens though. :)

Yes. I have tried using kenko tubes but didnt get satisfactory results.
I eventually got a dedicated macro lens to shoot these:

http://zyy.smugmug.com/gallery/2480957_E2Khk#312846110_xiXQU

Yes, but dont bother with nikon ext tubes as they turn your AF-S VR lens into an all-manual lens. Manual focus and manual exposure, not to mention u cant adjust aperture as the 70-200vr does not hv an aperture ring (G lens)

The usual shops would carry them (lords / cathay / etc)

Make sure AF works / exposure is correct.

shoot more and u will find out!

thanks guys for the overwhelming response and also detail info that you have posted up here.
do let me know more.
im shooting more and progressing.
cheers!

i just gotten a Canon 500D close up lense for my 80-200 AF-D one touch push pull mount on d700..

will post up some pix when i hav time to bring it out for a walk..

i just gotten a Canon 500D close up lense for my 80-200 AF-D one touch push pull mount on d700..

will post up some pix when i hav time to bring it out for a walk..

great.. u can post in here thanks!
cheers!

3253226382_89eba3bd10_o.jpg

80-200 with Canon 500D Close up lense~

Subject is only 1.3cm or smaller..

Status
Not open for further replies.