Extension tube vs Close up lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian

May 19, 2004
West
Hi,

What is the differences between using an extension tube or close up lens.
Which is a cheaper option?

I think extension tube would result in better quality.. no?... cos there is no additional element in between... where close up filter... you will have to get the most expensive one and there will still be slight degration...?... not sure, cos I haven't use a close up filter b4:p

The longer the extension, the more the light will be lost. I think? :think:

RossChang said:
that is true, lost of light but not lost of sharpness... ;p

Well that depends on where you focus dude. ;) Shutter speed will suffer due to the DOV involved for certain sharpness. :think:

Spectrum said:
Well that depends on where you focus dude. ;) Shutter speed will suffer due to the DOV involved for certain sharpness. :think:
Dun get it... even with the lost of light, if focusing is accurate, then you'll still get sharp pic, abeit, slower shutter speed... therefore leads to the necessity of a tripod... no?...

IF you are talking abt handheld... ;p I won't try that.. at least a monopod I'll say...

[/QUOTE]IF you are talking abt handheld... ;p I won't try that.. at least a monopod I'll say...[/QUOTE]

Are monpods useful when taking nature or close up photography. I thought tripods are much better? :think:

For a 25mm tube, light loss is about 1/2 stop. Dun really matter a lot, imho.

If you are intending to use it on a 70-200 lens, like I did (in the past), you'll get max mag ratio at the 70mm focal length with a 25mm tube and at 200mm with a Canon 500D close-up filter.

As for the originator's main question, a Kenko 25mm tube cost about SGD90 whereas a double-element diopter costs between 60 to 200-plus, depending on filter size and make.

The cheapest options are single element diopters such as Hoya +2, +3 or +4...less than 50 bucks...but I personally don't recommend them. ;)

Adrian said:
Are monpods useful when taking nature or close up photography. I thought tripods are much better? :think:
Well, I said at least... a tripod would be good, but there are instance where I strap 3 legs together and use it as a monopod when shooting dragonflies closeup cos there is no enought ground for me to lay all 3 legs, and I need to move in and out for the focus :D

Ok, to the original poster, I got my set of 3 Uniplus extension tube (12, 20, 35mm) from MSColor at SGD160.

Thanks guys for your info.
Any idea how much does PK-13 cost?

Thanks Megaweb.

Status
Not open for further replies.