Extension Tube vs Close-up for Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Dog

Apr 11, 2008
I need suggestions and recommendations on a cheapest Macro set-up to be paired with a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.

Is it, Extension Tubes or Close-up Filter

Purpose:
- Food shots
- Minor macro (still objects like flowers)
- Toy shots

Out of the question is a dedicated Macro lens. Never wanted one. I just want something below $100 investment for close-up shots.

THanks for the inputs.

can try to get a 2nd hand raynox-dcr250 for around $100.

as for tubes. if u dont wan to lose AF and aperture control. the cheapest u can go will be a 2nd hand kenko tube, which will go around $150.

but which one works best? the Raynox or Kenco?

get kenko uniplus... definitely less than 100 if you get 2nd hand. $60-70

Better to get extension tubes since they don't degrade image quality.... close up filters definitely will degrade quality even if you use good quality ones like the canon 500d...

but it's confirmed that extension tubes make AF not work right? so MF will be an option.. But still distance will remain 5omm?

Hard to compare which work best. They try to achieve magnification thru different means, akin to comparing apples and oranges

Personally I have shelved my close up filters for my extension tubes.

Ryan

so extension tubes are much better than filters? Hmmm.. might be going more than $100 if with AF.

define better ?

in term of
- quality ?
- bigger magnification ?
- DOF ?
- etc ?

for greater magnification, use 2x 25mm ext tube + 50mm to achieve 1:1.

Make sure that the ones you get comes with electrical coupling especially if you are using canon. ie able to AF. Otherwise not only do you lose AF you will also lose the ability to control your aperture.

Make sure that the ones you get comes with electrical coupling especially if you are using canon. ie able to AF. Otherwise not only do you lose AF you will also lose the ability to control your aperture.

Hi, how to know which tubes have electrical coupling? Care to share which brands are there that has this capability so as not to lose AF control and aperture?

Or is there no other alternative than Kenko that has the same capability?

Uniplus or Triplus both have electrical coupling. Both made by kenko. If it allows AF then it can control aperture. Normally price is a good indication. If it only cost $10-30 then most likely is full manual.

I am also looking for an extension tube, I think you can get one for $30.00 from tagotech
http://store.tagotech.com/

It's ok to use if you're using nikon as nikon lenses have a ring on the lens to control the aperture. Canon does not, so unless you're willing to shoot wide open all the time, i say stay away from these.

thanks for the tip Zj2000. Looks like Kenko is a choice for me as i wanted aperture and AF control. Any idea on the difference between Uniplus and Triplus? Thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.