Extension Tube OR Close-Up Lens???

newzealandhike

Mar 8, 2011
Hi all,

I'm a newbie, newbie here and a newbie in DSLRs. Just got my Nikon D3100 a few months ago, and I'm interested in trying macro photography. I can't afford a true macro lens as its too costly. I know that extension tubes and close-up lenses are available, but which out of these is better? And their price in Singapore?

I'm aware that extension tubes cause a loss of light, and are more expensive than close-up lenses.

On the other hand, I've heard that close-up lenses can cause image degradation if I use a one-piece lens (or something like that). And, are they as good as extension tubes? In the sense which one allows me to take closer pics?

Thanks! :)

Hi newzealandhike. I think spree86 was referring to a macro setup where u reverse fit a lens onto a camera body. You need an adapter that allows the camera body to reverse mount the front element instead. A 50mm prime or wider lenses will work beautifully. But there will be no electronic communication between the lens and camera if u get what i mean.

Here is a googled website with illustrations
http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=81

Hope it helps. Happy shooting.

Ryan

newzealandhike said:
How much could it cost, approx?

Ryan has explained it perfectly in detail, as for cost wise, assuming you alr have a 50mm or some other suitable lens, it costs around $12 to get the adaptor to mount the reverse lens.

Ryan has explained it perfectly in detail, as for cost wise, assuming you alr have a 50mm or some other suitable lens, it costs around $12 to get the adaptor to mount the reverse lens.

Hmmm... I only own the basic 18-55mm lens, and a 55-200mm lens. Is the former enough? it sin't a prime lens...

Hi newzealandhike. I think spree86 was referring to a macro setup where u reverse fit a lens onto a camera body. You need an adapter that allows the camera body to reverse mount the front element instead. A 50mm prime or wider lenses will work beautifully. But there will be no electronic communication between the lens and camera if u get what i mean.

Here is a googled website with illustrations
http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=81

Hope it helps. Happy shooting.

Ryan

Hi GiantCanopy,

thanks for the info and link. It seems like a good method (Saw the sample images) but I just need to know if my basic 18-55mm lens would work?

Hmmm... I only own the basic 18-55mm lens, and a 55-200mm lens. Is the former enough? it sin't a prime lens...

I'm thinking that it should, I usually close my aperture up to f8 or f11 without seeing any vignetting when I use a 1 lens setup, so think it its ok for you as well. Just that in low light, it might be a little dim through yr viewfinder.

The easiest is to start off with a $25 +4 close-up lens.

DSC00002-1.jpg

I'm thinking that it should, I usually close my aperture up to f8 or f11 without seeing any vignetting when I use a 1 lens setup, so think it its ok for you as well. Just that in low light, it might be a little dim through yr viewfinder.

Well, I guess I'll have to try all three options on my own then. Thanks all!

These are the first few shots I took with the $25 +4 close-up lens

DSC00087-1.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

Has anyone tried stacking of lenses? I just got the 67-52mm ring to connect 50mm prime with 18-105mm. The quality is not good so far. Can some one guide me?

Has anyone tried stacking of lenses? I just got the 67-52mm ring to connect 50mm prime with 18-105mm. The quality is not good so far. Can some one guide me?

I did, I used a 28-80 with a 50mm, and use a male to male coupler of 58mm on one side and 52mm on the other. The more step down ring you use the worse the vignetting and the image. Have you tried a 1 lens setup? It's more than enough for me on most occasions.

Oh! I never thought if vigeneting could be so bad. Also I am having problem with focusing?