Extension design zoom lenses: Does it matter to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
Seeing the release of the Olympus E1 system, and its range of lenses, from what I've noticed, at least the 14-54mm and the 50mm macro lenses are designed with lens extension focus/zoom systems - so the quinessential question is - does the fact that a lens that extends/retracts bother/affect you in choosing whether to buy it or not?

I'm asking this because of my personal concerns when shooting in sports/outdoor situations - what I believe is that extending lens designs are much more susceptible to dust infiltration.

sehsuan said:
Seeing the release of the Olympus E1 system, and its range of lenses, from what I've noticed, at least the 14-54mm and the 50mm macro lenses are designed with lens extension focus/zoom systems - so the quinessential question is - does the fact that a lens that extends/retracts bother/affect you in choosing whether to buy it or not?

I'm asking this because of my personal concerns when shooting in sports/outdoor situations - what I believe is that extending lens designs are much more susceptible to dust infiltration.

Pardon my ignorance but aren't most zoom lens of the extension/retractable kind? At least mine are.... maybe that's bec I am using the non-pro lines.......

Lens like the 70-210 f4 & 80-200 f2.8 APO G from Minolta are all internal zoom...

vader said:
Lens like the 70-210 f4 & 80-200 f2.8 APO G from Minolta are all internal zoom...

Must be $$$$$$!!!!!!!!

It does not matter if there is tiny dust in the lens, as long as there is no fog elements or fungus in it, it ok.My Minolta 24-85 got a strand of hair in it and it still gives me wonderful pictures! sometimes I wonder why people is so particular with these minor issues. the product is meant to be use, unless that person is a collector who don't take pictures and leave the lens in a clean room.

vader said:
It does not matter if there is tiny dust in the lens, as long as there is no fog elements or fungus in it, it ok.My Minolta 24-85 got a strand of hair in it and it still gives me wonderful pictures! sometimes I wonder why people is so particular with these minor issues. the product is meant to be use, unless that person is a collector who don't take pictures and leave the lens in a clean room.

Well I suppose we all spend a lot of money on our lenses and if some dirt or grit gets in to screw up the mechanical parts, it's going to be a real heartache... and not to mention costly clean-up or rebuild by pros...... but I hardly actually clean my lenses..... just use tissue to clean the filter only....... :D

If it's the mechanical problem like cannot focus, cannot zoom then it all right to send the lens for servicing, repairing. but a tiny dot on the lens and they say it'll affect the pic quality!! "making a mountian out of a molehill". but then the money is theirs, they can spend it anyhow they want. sometimes small dots cannot be clean off, and they risk the chance that more will get in when the lens is open up.

vader said:
If it's the mechanical problem like cannot focus, cannot zoom then it all right to send the lens for servicing, repairing. but a tiny dot on the lens and they say it'll affect the pic quality!! "making a mountian out of a molehill". but then the money is theirs, they can spend it anyhow they want. sometimes small dots cannot be clean off, and they risk the chance that more will get in when the lens is open up.

U need a clean room lar......... :D or a dry box....... can be done! I use dry box for my research before..... very useful, very ley chey also...... sweat like a cow......

extension design design..yes

the classic example ---i see it as a contradiction:

canon EF 28-70/f2.8L . everything about this lens is good except for the fact that it extends out as u zoom towards the wide end. go to www.photozone.de--there the main guy klause also has the same opinion.

for the sake of completeness, i personally wouldnt use that lens ever again coz it just simply feels so ironic.

then again that issue of extension may not bother u at all...so its really up to u

sehsuan said:
exactly. i thought that the 24-70 was ironic - one thing being a L lens yet it extends for the wide end...

Sehsuan.... are u a chemist? That's a buckyball in your avatar....

sehsuan said:
nope, i'm not a chemist. it's the name of my computer business. :)

Woah! How does the fullerene link up with your computer business? Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.