Status
Not open for further replies.

jherek

Sep 7, 2002
east
Visit site
Posting the same query in HWZ..
however, i find CSers to be more responsive,

ok..i need to get an ext. HD (2.5") with a desired capacity of at least 40GB.

which brand shd i go for?
and how much shd i expect to pay along with a casing?
Does the speed of the HD still matter since it is an ext. one used primarily for backing up data?

And if i dun manage to find out myself..
wat does SATA and PATA mean?

Thank you.

I'm guessing around 200~300 about there. Casing itself is around 100. 40gb HDD is fast becoming outdated, mostly you will see 80gb ones in packages. Got for Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate, these are pretty established brands and quite reliable. If its just for backup, speed is good to have but no essential.

SATA and PATA are 2 types of wiring cables for comps if I'm not wrong. SATA is fairly new standard to replace the wide cables with thinner ones, but if your hardware doesn't support it then you might need to get a card for it. PATA i'm not sure what it is.

SATA and PATA?

Well, i guess they mean Serial Advanced Technology Attachment and Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment

pata are the hard disks we have been using all these years

sata are newer with thinner cables and supported only in the newer motherboards. performance wise there isn't a whole lot of difference currently although many new hdd are now released in sata

as for speed, it isn't too important for data backup since even slower ones nowadays have no problems transferring at USB1.0/2.0/firewire speeds

jherek said:
Posting the same query in HWZ..
however, i find CSers to be more responsive,

ok..i need to get an ext. HD (2.5") with a desired capacity of at least 40GB.

which brand shd i go for?
and how much shd i expect to pay along with a casing?
Does the speed of the HD still matter since it is an ext. one used primarily for backing up data?

And if i dun manage to find out myself..
wat does SATA and PATA mean?

Thank you.

i use a hardcase by sarotech, has USB 1.0 and 2.0 and firewire of cos... =)

i use firewire and its good enough, rather fast enough to work out of it not jsut for backing up but it is bulky not the 2.5'' ur looking for but its a nice to have cos it has a built in power supply, no fuss wif adapters...

USB can go to that firery place for all i care :devil: ... 1.0 that is... its way too slow to even do back up for me.. esp wif large files its a pain.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.