Ext Flash when you travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexljy

Jun 29, 2003
Singapore
www.geocities.com
Hi Guys,

Just wondering, is it worthwhile to bring an external flash on vacation? I ll be going to Taiwan in July, hence considering if I should bring my ext flash along. Would like your opinion, and maybe some experience sharing on how/how not is an ext flash useful on a vacation.

if you have an external flash, you'd know the advantages it has over the built-in flash. i don't see how an external flash will become less useful when it leaves our shores.

It will depend the way you shoot and what you shoot?
Is it a holiday or a photographic trip?

For me, i brought my ext flash, but don't really use it.

The main reason was that it was a holiday, so need to enjoy every moment with my love one during the trip. Pop-up flash is enough for my when i needed to fill when shooting some simple portrait......

imaging......digging your bag for look for the flash.....it also depend on your partner also.....he/she might siaz......

For shooting wise, i doing more street and cityscape, and i personally don't use flash for both.

So bottomline is, plan what you will be shooting and decide is it worth the load....
btw, a flash is very light only......that why i still bring along. :bsmilie:

3428027509_2b8fdb721b.jpg

3418033249_b2f0c04558.jpg

3428096669_2a5812b76f.jpg

3420911201_88b477bd18.jpg

if you have an external flash, you'd know the advantages it has over the built-in flash. i don't see how an external flash will become less useful when it leaves our shores.

I wont say least useful, but more like is it worth the weight? Though I must admit, after using external flash for sometime, I do avoid onboard flash as much as I can, especially on my 28-105, as the lense barrel blocks it from lighting the bottom part of the frame.

I guess my purpose of brining an external flash should I do, would be to make the group/memorial shots we take look nicer, since I ll be travelling in a group of 5

no choice have to bring, camera has no flash

usually bring compact flash from 3rd party (no ettl :()

Hi Guys,

Just wondering, is it worthwhile to bring an external flash on vacation? I ll be going to Taiwan in July, hence considering if I should bring my ext flash along. Would like your opinion, and maybe some experience sharing on how/how not is an ext flash useful on a vacation.

Yes. Useful for indoor/night self portraits or group shots.

You should bring...for night shots. If its bulky why not consider a smaller model flash?

It depends on what you shoot. But for me, I had learnt to bring most of my gears when I travel, unless you dun intend to shoot at all. You find it heavy when moving around, but when you need it - it's invaluable. Flash and tripod is totally essential tools - at least for me. :)

depends on what you shoot and what camera you own. If you own a camera with a pop-up flash, and need the flash for just few photos and restaurants etc to remember, then built in flash would be more than enough. Some attractions such as museums don't allow flash anyway, you can research before you go. Landscape etc, flash almost no use but you should know this already.

depends on you lor,

to be fair, i don't have flash, so not fair,

but i think even if i have one, i prefer working with natural/available light

that said, if you have good flash knowledge, and can control it well, you can always make any scene look natural

if you are shooting travel photography, i would reallky question its use though

Not bringing external flash for me.

Travelling for me is Body + 10-22 only. No external flash. Just use the pop-up flash is enough. In my pocket is a cheap Pop-up Flash diffuser.

Travel light, and enjoy the scenes, and get reasonable quality pictures.

Not bringing external flash for me.

Travelling for me is Body + 10-22 only. No external flash. Just use the pop-up flash is enough. In my pocket is a cheap Pop-up Flash diffuser.

Travel light, and enjoy the scenes, and get reasonable quality pictures.

Maybe I should consider DIYin a diffuser to try out it's effect. Cause I am not a huge fan of the pop up flash on my camera. It get;s block by my lense barrel, hence bottom parts of image sometimes isnt illuminated.

I did bring along my flash when i travel. However, i am lazy to fix it up and shoot. :embrass:

maybe u can consider bringing along a light tripod instead of ex flash if you shoot more street and cityscape than ppl when traveling. u will find how important a tripod is when u want to shoot nightshots

maybe u can consider bringing along a light tripod instead of ex flash if you shoot more street and cityscape than ppl when traveling. u will find how important a tripod is when u want to shoot nightshots

Tripod is a must to me. I forgot it once on my trip 2 years ago, a good lesson learn to never forget it again :p

It's always good to bring along your ext flash - just in case you need it..... especially if u r travelling to exotic (once-in-a-lifetime-never-to return-again) places.

Status
Not open for further replies.