Ext. flash for fz5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dts_spawn

Jun 24, 2005
Real noob here on ext. flash and i have some questions. firstly, with an ext. slave flash, how would the cam meter? And someone here mentioned that the slave flash can detect the flash only at a certain range of shutter speed. What does that mean? Which ext. flash would be suitable for the fz5 and what are the stuff i need? Hopefully this would help me clear my doubts and some other new birds' as well. :bsmilie:

i'm an fz5 user so i'll help out. the flash i'm using is an emoblitz ds328az flash, which you can get from AP SLS. Err, it acts as a slave flash in a sense it detects the first instance of the on-board flash before it fires off.

Metering wise i'm not sure.

it has 3 modes, N, S1, S2. N for normal hotshoe contact, S1 for 1 burst of flash while S2 for 2 bursts of flash[this i read from the manual].

As far as the shutter speed is concerned i agree it is limited. Based on having using it countless times on my fz5 i can safely say the range is from 1/60 to about 1/200. Anything above that i don't think you can trigger it.

You might need a flash diffuser cap like stofen omnibounce or what Hexlord suggested to me was to get a $15 suntax diffuser cap from AP Sls, works like an omnibounce.

Hope that helps :)

P.s. After viewing the optical slave hotshoe unit on Tchuanye's i decided to try and get one to see if i can experiment a workaround for the limited flash range. Will update you once i get it.

the flash itself.
p10501692sd.jpg

the flash with my, often laughed at but works most of the time flash diffuser, something like LS.
p10501720vf.jpg

dts_spawn said:
Real noob here on ext. flash and i have some questions. firstly, with an ext. slave flash, how would the cam meter? And someone here mentioned that the slave flash can detect the flash only at a certain range of shutter speed. What does that mean? Which ext. flash would be suitable for the fz5 and what are the stuff i need? Hopefully this would help me clear my doubts and some other new birds' as well. :bsmilie:
i got the emoblitz sitting in my dry box after selling off my FZ5.
u let me know if interested. price neg....

how to fix that flash on FZ5?

how does it look like on FZ5?

commander said:
how to fix that flash on FZ5?

how does it look like on FZ5?

the FZ5 has no hotshoe so you have to affix it to a flash bracket or somesort.

something like that. perhaps not the best of pics.
dscf00086rl.jpg

old pic la...haha. will get some fresh new pics of my gear soon.

Ok. Thanks for spending ur time to explain. But, still don't get some things. 1st, What is the big ass thing on ur flash? 2nd, u mentioned that if the shutter speed is over that range, the ext. flash will not fire? Doesn't the ext flash fire as long as it detects the on cam flash? 3rd, how much u bought it for? thanks again.

and another thing, How do u decide on the exposure if the cam can't meter the flash?

the thing on the main flash is a fujifilm film container i use to cut down the light so that only enought is needed to reach the sensor on the external flash.

the other thing on the external flash is something like an omnibounce/lightsphere thingy i use for diffusing.

as far as exposure is concerned, its mostly trial and error. if its too exposed then turn the flash away or set it a different angle and etc.

metallilan said:

WOW! Just realized that your computers arrangement and mine are the same man! Put a little notebook in front of the desktop monitor. :bsmilie: and the desktop also look macham like mine like that... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

JimDavis said:
WOW! Just realized that your computers arrangement and mine are the same man! Put a little notebook in front of the desktop monitor. :bsmilie: and the desktop also look macham like mine like that... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

lol! really meh...keke.

metallilan said:
lol! really meh...keke.

Almost identical! Opppssss.....sorry....OT here...kekeke...

wa.. like that very hard to use lei. got to keep doing it? no easier way to meter? And how much does the flash cost?

dts_spawn said:
wa.. like that very hard to use lei. got to keep doing it? no easier way to meter? And how much does the flash cost?

about $50-$60. I think i got mine for $55... i think the no-hotshoe is a reason why i don't see why people stay on with their FZ5's, the FZ20 is better at least IMO. but for me i usually adapt...i like the highspeed AF on the FZ5.

ya.. true. Didn't see the need for a hotshoe in the beginning.

metallilan, Just out of curiosity....does the FZ5 have preflash? If so, I take it that your flash have a pre-flash feature to take account of it? Cos my flash cannot take pre-flash in slave mode.

tchuanye said:
metallilan, Just out of curiosity....does the FZ5 have preflash? If so, I take it that your flash have a pre-flash feature to take account of it? Cos my flash cannot take pre-flash in slave mode.

i don't recall the fz5 having pre-flash function...:think:

Ok. rel noob on flash so.... what's the difference between the big ass thingy on ur ext flash and those "cap"? i think it is called a diffuser.

http://perfectpixelcameraparts.com/ppcpaccessories.htm

And in the website above, you would find the "Flash Soft-Dome Diffuser" and the "Inflatable Flashgun Soft-Box". Basically the same thing right? would they be better then the "cap" or bouce card? looks good though.

basically all does the same thing which is to diffuse the flash. bounce flash is used when you are indoor and when there is a celling or wateva on top of you (not to high up), while the other can be used directly facing the object.

IMO Inflatable Flashgun Soft-Box might gives the softest flash, but the bad is that it is more troublesome to setup compared to the other 2. the easiest setup will be the wat you call "cap" or diffuser.

for most photography the flash diffuser cap works like stofen omnibounce, used to soften the light coming out of the flash.

in my case, that big ass thingy on my external flash pretty much works the same way...[as you can see i'm abit short out of cash so i have to improvise, besides i only use it for macro and not for general flash use ;) ]

Status
Not open for further replies.