Exposure to the right

e69087

Aug 17, 2005
Northern Singapore
Hi, need some info on exposure to the right method. Anyone using this method in exposing a shot?
Understand the jpg file will look over expose but good for post processing the raw file.
I think this method may generate a lot of post processing work, any opinion on this?
Thanks.

Maybe you wanna google about "highlights clipping". Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Works well for Fuji S5 Pro but new cameras tend to do better working from other side...lifting shadows as opposed to recovering detail from blown highlights. Nowadays I just leave my picture review to show highlights. I chimp and then compensate a handful of ways depending on what I am shooting.

So i guess most people will expose the out of camera jpg file to their liking... mainly expose the highlight and then if need to improve further, work on the raw file mainly on recovering the shadow area.

That is usually what I do...nowadays I tend to let the ISO float too most of the time. My opinion once something is blown out, unless done purposefully and I am not talking about for PP either, once it is blown out you have lost it. That has been my experience at least. Now with an old F5 Pro it is a little bit different story. That camera you can bring back stuff on the right side but not so great with recovery of shadow detail. To this day a special unique camera. No digital camera made does white like that camera my opinion.

I tend to run a jpeg ooc into LZ and process them with a few standard presets tweak them here and there and then into GIMP for sizing and file extension manipulation. Or I shoot RAW shots and play with view NX2. It varies. Depends on what I am doing.

RAW is not your savior. Strong fundamentals and your skill/practice is what is important.

*I do not like to use a meter. I tend to start at Sunny or some known setting for situation. Metering is to slow...takes to much time...jpegs don't have any time to spare...go go go...chop chop! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info sharing, S5 pro is indeed a unqiue camera. I also agree once the highlight is blown, the details cannot be recovered.
I read the expose to the right (but watch out not to blow out the highlight) method will generate lesser noise in recovering the shadow area.
Seems good but i have to get used to seeing most of the OOC jpg file on the slightĺy over (bright) expose result.

Hi, need some info on exposure to the right method. Anyone using this method in exposing a shot?
Understand the jpg file will look over expose but good for post processing the raw file.
I think this method may generate a lot of post processing work, any opinion on this?
Thanks.
photographers suppose to study the scene, determine how would he want to record it, and than decide how he should set the exposure.

so exposure to the right is only when he knows he able to get the best out of it. not use everything exposure to the right.

if a photographer find it is too complicated, or no time to for that, can just use P mode or fully auto mode if the camera do have this feature. Noting wrong with that.
Or he can do some experiments, so he knows what works and what doesn't.
the worst thing a photographer can do himself is don't know what he is doing and just follow other people blindly.

So i guess most people will expose the out of camera jpg file to their liking... mainly expose the highlight and then if need to improve further, work on the raw file mainly on recovering the shadow area.
So what is your question?
If you want your photos look good straight out of camera, than just exposure for that.

and if you only shoot in raw and post process everything, that just exposure for the best results.

after all, only the end result matters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info sharing, S5 pro is indeed a unqiue camera. I also agree once the highlight is blown, the details cannot be recovered.
I read the expose to the right (but watch out not to blow out the highlight) method will generate lesser noise in recovering the shadow area.
Seems good but i have to get used to seeing most of the OOC jpg file on the slightĺy over (bright) expose result.

Please let me know what you discover... :)

Thanks for all the sharing.
I'm still trying out this method in exposure control.

I use ETTR when I shoot landscapes most of the time. And I average 5 to 15 minutes on PP on each photo max.

Agree with the seniors on their opinions on ETTR. Whether the result looks over or underexposed really depends on the difference in brightness of the brightest and darkest areas (dynamic range) of the scene. In a high contrast scene, the OOC jpg will look underexposed (eg shooting against the sun showing a lot of foreground), in low contrast situation it will look overexposed (eg foggy scene).

Usually I will consider ETTR when using tripod (it's already slow so doesn't matter spending another moment to maximize DR) by observing the histogram shifts. Of course one might suggest you could increase DR by bracketing but more effort in pp.

Holy grail timelapse ETTR is a must for me.

Handheld usually rely on the camera metering unless the scene is tricky, then I just bracket. Again, all depending on situation and required outcome.

As to the amount of pp required, pushing/pulling sliders in LR doesn't take a lot of time/effort unless you are talking about doing it for hundreds of photos. Again, depends on individual's taste and tolerance. Some don't mind sitting for hours tweaking. I can't stand doing it for too long.
:)

When shooting with ETTR in mind, i'll try to push the histogram as far right as possible without blowing the highlight. The OOC jpg will look over exposure. I'm still learning.

When shooting with ETTR in mind, i'll try to push the histogram as far right as possible without blowing the highlight. The OOC jpg will look over exposure. I'm still learning.

Yes that is supposed to be the way. Understanding that ooc jpg will look overexposed, but shoot with your entire workflow in mind.

in case you missed it.

photographers suppose to study the scene, determine how would he want to record it, and than decide how he should set the exposure.

so exposure to the right is only when he knows he able to get the best out of it. not use everything exposure to the right.

if a photographer find it is too complicated, or no time to for that, can just use P mode or fully auto mode if the camera do have this feature. Noting wrong with that.
Or he can do some experiments, so he knows what works and what doesn't.
the worst thing a photographer can do himself is don't know what he is doing and just follow other people blindly.

So what is your question?
If you want your photos look good straight out of camera, than just exposure for that.

and if you only shoot in raw and post process everything, that just exposure for the best results.

after all, only the end result matters.

ETTR is just a method to optimize data.
So exposing to the right doesn't involve blowing highlights in important areas cos that wouldn't be optimizing your data. But you can however choose to let the highlight blow in what you deem unimportant areas such as specular highlights.
By implication the image usually won't look like your final outcome because you're exposing in a way only to ensure data is best captured. You'll need to do something with that data afterwards.
Even with modern sensors that have very good shadow recovery, ETTR will still improve the shadow area as you are literally letting more light land on your sensor during exposure thereby increasing the signal to noise (SNR).
You also get better tonal gradation since there are more bits of data in the highlight areas compared to the shadows.

But bear in mind it is about optimizing data. If ETTR means having to compromises your shutter speed selection and/or aperture as to adversely affect the image, then it is contrary to utilizing the technique in the first place.
Hence it is often done in more controlled situations such as landscapes on a tripod. I would also avoid it if you're capturing something or a moment that can't be repeated if you muck up the exposure.

Yes, i agreed. I should not think too much about the ETTR when it comes to shooting a decisive moment.