Status
Not open for further replies.

kex

Oct 16, 2002
beebox
www.beebox.com.sg
hi,
need some guidance from u guys.
Isit normal to have exposure time as long as 40sec ?
i did a test strip and found dat when i print on magenta #2½ using a meopta condenser head @ F8 75mm the contrast i prefer is ard 40sec with a developing time of 90 headcounts roughly 90sec..
Are there any rule of thumb about exposure duration ? or it doesn't matter ?
paper used is ilford satin finish enlarged to 8x10 from a 6x6..
chemical is bromphen &hypam fixer..
Usually wad is the most common exposure duration used by most ?

anyone ?

I'm no master print or anywhere, but it'll be interesting to share what I know.

I guess there's no std time for all but I was told that the paper's reponsiveness will deteriote the longer ya had it exposed to the 'safe' light. in fact I was quoted no mroe then 3 mins but fact is, I've actually tried extreme timing of up to 5min plus for a single print.

paper didn't receive fogging, the print was not to satisfactory anyway (printing from low contrast colour neg...) coz I stacked G4 + G5... it was all experimental.

my usual timing ranges from 9sec to a 2mins
but ya might want to know that the distance of the enlarger head to the easle matters !
consider using a shorter shorter lens to pull the head closer if ya think 40s is too much or open up the aperature then?

i find dat my print still lack the contrast i visualise..
when i print it on the 11yrs old matte finish RC paper,the results is better than the new ilford satin RC paper..
dunno y leh,maybe the finish of the paper oso will affect the contrast ?

lack contrast ?
hmz, I'm not rich enough to try out different papar yet.
but I ever stack filters before , it worked to an extent but eventaully the projected light became 'safelight'...

ya might want to factor in the chemical used, the exposure on the paper and the timings?
aperature thru my experiment does help a little.

Do you have the colour head or using the multigrade filters? If you are using the colourhead...try just to dail only one colour at a time according to the Ilford multigrade guide given in every pack of paper. Don't use the recommendations given with the meopta operations manual. Have tried the it and it gives very long exposure times.

Usually for a 8x10 enlargement on 6x6 negative is around 8 to 20secs...when the lens is stopped down to F5.6 to 11.

Usually do 3R prints to gauge the correct grey scale and mood of the image, then do a test exposure strip for the 8R enlarged image and decide on the exposure time. Saves a lot of paper and cost this way....at you can gauge on what area to dodge or burn or any other techniques.

Consider an investment in the standard test exposure strip by kodak or other manufacturers...more accurate and saves a lot of time. Quite cheap i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.