Exposure setting in manual mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

bylim

Sep 2, 2009
Hi everyone,

I've been a recent observer of this forum(to research for a dslr purchase) but have only registered today. recently got the canon 500d and now have some noobish questions.

Why can't I manually change the exposure in Manual setting, but it is available in the other modes? Can I only do exposure bracketing in manual? I understand that aperture+shutter speed is indeed adjusting for your exposure. but... I still don't understand why the exposure meter can't be changed(except for bracketing) in manual mode. Am I missing something?

Hi everyone,

I've been a recent observer of this forum(to research for a dslr purchase) but have only registered today. recently got the canon 500d and now have some noobish questions.

Why can't I manually change the exposure in Manual setting, but it is available in the other modes? Can I only do exposure bracketing in manual? I understand that aperture+shutter speed is indeed adjusting for your exposure. but... I still don't understand why the exposure meter can't be changed(except for bracketing) in manual mode. Am I missing something?
I would just like to understand your question a little bit more. What do you mean when you say 'Exposure'? Are you referring to the Exposure Metering in the view finder (the one that moves left or right of the centre zero)?

I don't have my camera on hand now so I can't refer... I think it's called the exposure meter or EV? not the one through viewfinder, but the one on the screen.

Hi everyone,

I will advise you to read the manual before asking. there's noway to answer when no one understand the question.

I don't have my camera on hand now so I can't refer... I think it's called the exposure meter or EV? not the one through viewfinder, but the one on the screen.
Nikon Camreas have a button called the EV button.
Canon no. But in terms of Exposure, both systems work very similarly. Just got to look at either the View Finder or the LCD screen of the back of the camera, we would be able to see if we are exposing correctly or under/over exposing.

I agree with kurtlim, it is very difficult for any one to help you further without you having played around with the camera sufficiently to understand where is what.

It sounds as if you refer to the button for Exposure Compensation. Please have a look at the manual, there is a chapter about this function.
Please have a look first at the modes Av and Tv, understand the purpose of these modes and how the camera works there. With Exposure Compensation you can additionally influence the automatic functions in both modes to shift the exposure.
In Manual mode this is redundant, there is no automatic function that needs to be shifted. With the settings for ISO, shutter and aperture you define the exposure; the exposure meter will tell you about the expected result.

thanks kurtlim, I've been trying to look for the pdf version. in page 84, it mentioned "Set exposure compensation if the exposure(without flash) does not come out as desired. This feature can be used in the Creative Zone modes(except <M>)"

thanks Octarine for your explanation.

Last edited:
It sounds as if you refer to the button for Exposure Compensation. Please have a look at the manual, there is a chapter about this function.
Please have a look first at the modes Av and Tv, understand the purpose of these modes and how the camera works there. With Exposure Compensation you can additionally influence the automatic functions in both modes to shift the exposure.
In Manual mode this is redundant, there is no automatic function that needs to be shifted. With the settings for ISO, shutter and aperture you define the exposure; the exposure meter will tell you about the expected result.
Octarine, I take my hat off to you. You explained it precisely.

Nikon Camreas have a button called the EV button. Canon no.

Sorry to correct you. Canon also has the Exposure Compensation function. The difference: this button only works in Av and Tv, but not in M. Reason is that in M mode this button is used as switch key. Using the dial in M mode will change the shutter speed, when pressing the button and turning the dial then aperture is changed.
Not sure about the xxD series but for xxxD series should be same across all models.

Octarine is spot on. :thumbsup:

For the xxD series, to change aperture you can turn the giant wheel:thumbsup:

Sorry to correct you. Canon also has the Exposure Compensation function. The difference: this button only works in Av and Tv, but not in M. Reason is that in M mode this button is used as switch key. Using the dial in M mode will change the shutter speed, when pressing the button and turning the dial then aperture is changed.
Not sure about the xxD series but for xxxD series should be same across all models.
Yes, Octarine, you are right. What I probably meant was, in Canon, you have to do it with a couple of steps more like what you have described. There is, well, no one single button that says 'EV' on the Canon lah...

Yes, Octarine, you are right. What I probably meant was, in Canon, you have to do it with a couple of steps more like what you have described. There is, well, no one single button that says 'EV' on the Canon lah...

Only works in Program, Av and Tv modes, but you basically just turn the wheel next to your LCD screen for Ev compensation. For manual mode adjust shutter and aperture as required

Only works in Program, Av and Tv modes, but you basically just turn the wheel next to your LCD screen for Ev compensation. For manual mode adjust shutter and aperture as required
That is correct, Cartman2000. When I am in Program mode, I oft find myself turning the wheel just to under-expose a little to the desire level of exposure. M mode, more fun - simply play with the main dial (shutter speed) and the wheel (aperture) to achieve my desired exposure.

Exposure compensation does affect the camera's meter for Nikon in M mode. Wonder if it's the same for Canon's cameras?

Exposure compensation does affect the camera's meter for Nikon in M mode. Wonder if it's the same for Canon's cameras?
Yes, on Nikon, exposure compensation alters how the camera meter, so it does affect all exposure modes including M mode.
And on M mode, photographer have to decide the combination of aperture, shutter speed and ISO setting to use to archive the desired exposure, either follow the what the camera meter suggest or base on own preference.

Please read my former posting: For Canon xxxD series this mode / function "Exposure compensation" is not available in M mode. The button gets a different function when using M mode. Any setting made in Av or Tv is cancelled out, the meter will always show real exposure value without any offset.
I cannot comment on xxD or xD series but I suspect it's the same there. My EOS5 does not have this function either. Personally I don't see much use for any offset to the metering in M but it might come useful for other people. I hope there's an indicator on Nikon cams showing that the metering was offset, similar to FEC.

Last edited:
Please read my former posting: For Canon xxxD series this mode / function "Exposure compensation" is not available in M mode. The button becomes a different function when using M mode. Any setting made in Av or Tv is cancelled out, the meter will always show real exposure value without any offset.
I cannot comment on xxD or xD series but I suspect it's the same there. My EOS5 does not have this function either. Personally I don't see much use for any offset to the metering in M but it might come useful for other people. I hope there's an indicator on Nikon cams showing that the metering was offset, similar to FEC.
yes, it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.