exposure problem with e-300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

l_n_h

Feb 12, 2005
hello everyone,

my e-300 tends to choose a slower shutter speed and a smaller apeture size when taking photos resulting in my images getting blur. from what i see, it could have chosen a faster shutter speed and a bigger apeture. is there a problem? i shoot in p mode and choose ESP for exposure mode. thanks.

l_n_h said:
hello everyone,

my e-300 tends to choose a slower shutter speed and a smaller apeture size when taking photos resulting in my images getting blur. from what i see, it could have chosen a faster shutter speed and a bigger apeture. is there a problem? i shoot in p mode and choose ESP for exposure mode. thanks.

use Manual mode or use Shutter priority.

chii said:
use Manual mode or use Shutter priority.

i know that it can be overcome in shutter priority. but shouldn't it detect that the shutter speed is too slow and automatically increase the apeture size when in p mode?

I believe Under "P" mode, the camera will follow the Ideal Exposure conditions as specified in the firmware based on the ambient amount of light & the ISO value.

chii said:
I believe Under "P" mode, the camera will follow the Ideal Exposure conditions as specified in the firmware based on the ambient amount of light & the ISO value.

so does that means that even if the shutter speed is too slow it will accept even though it could have enlarge the apeture?

I think in P mode, the camera is trying to strike a balance between optimal shutter speed and aperture, to give you sharper and deeper DOF. If your subject is too close, I think the camera will have to increase it's aperture to give you more DOF.

To let it gives you faster shutter speed in this scenario, try setting Auto ISO (I'm not sure whether this works, otherwise, push up the ISO manually).

actually i realised that i have shot in "A" mode. anyway, selling the camera. thanks for all your replies

i seriously think u shud give your cam another try. u only got it for 2 weeks, then only use P mode & conclude that the DSLR doesn't suit your needs. dun mind me asking what is it that u shoot & in P mode that cannot meet to your expectation?

pardon me for saying this but from the type of questions u posted, its likely the owner not adequate with skill & knowledge than equipment limitations. how about picking up some basic before dumping the camera? i teach u for free lar. :sweatsm:

thanks a lot. :)

i like to take pictures of events in my school and church. these can range from indoor to outdoor. most importntly, i like to shoot candid shoots. from what i see so far, the sound of the focusing and mirror swinging will give me away. actually i am also struggling to make a decision. my initial decision to move from a minolta a2 to a dslr is to enable me to take better indoor shoots. but i find the e300 too loud. may be because i move from a "silent" prosumer, i am afraid that i will miss those candid moments cause the object detect that i am focusing on him.

sounds like u need an E1. so far, this has the most quiet shutter sound. if u think E300 has loud slap of the mirror, other brands also not that stealth either.

honestly, many people have used their favourite brand of DSLR to take indoor events & none seems to have any problems or complains with the loud slap. i think u maybe overly worried. :) have a break & drink some hot choclate. ;)

l_n_h said:
thanks a lot. :)

i like to take pictures of events in my school and church. these can range from indoor to outdoor. most importntly, i like to shoot candid shoots. from what i see so far, the sound of the focusing and mirror swinging will give me away. actually i am also struggling to make a decision. my initial decision to move from a minolta a2 to a dslr is to enable me to take better indoor shoots. but i find the e300 too loud. may be because i move from a "silent" prosumer, i am afraid that i will miss those candid moments cause the object detect that i am focusing on him.

U need the E-1

its shutter is VERY QUIET.

;)

cannot afford a E-1. any way, what really alert the people is the focusing sound. the shutter is still ok, cause by the time the discover, too late liao :)

so i am thinking of going back to a prosumer. hai....... may be you all think i am crazy. i think i wasted money also. just hope to get one that meet my needs.

l_n_h said:
cannot afford a E-1. any way, what really alert the people is the focusing sound. the shutter is still ok, cause by the time the discover, too late liao :)

so i am thinking of going back to a prosumer. hai....... may be you all think i am crazy. i think i wasted money also. just hope to get one that meet my needs.

the E-1 is not all that pricey @ 2.65k, it comes with the 14~54mm lens that covers most requirements.

I would say the 14~54mm lens is one of the best investments I made as it stays on my e-300 95% of the time.

good luck on yr sale & happy shooting

l_n_h said:

ever thought of using manual focus? :sweat: i dun think the focussing sound is that loud with the kit lens. wait till u hear the sound from the ZD 300mm. :eek:

er.... manual focus? scare later not accurate leh, then how?

l_n_h said:
er.... manual focus? scare later not accurate leh, then how?

Er.... eat less chicken feet lor. :bsmilie:

Practice make perfect. Hope you give your camara and your good self another try. ;)

:cheers:

l_n_h said:

Sometimes I feel that some users have unrealistic expectations on shutter and focussing noise. This could be due to the fact that the camera is only 5cm away from their ears. Personally, I feel that if the subject can hear and get distracted by the noise from the camera, you are already too close and the very sight of you standing there with a camera would have alerted them long before they even hear the camera snapping away.

The kit lens of the E-300 focuses very fast and accurately even in relatively low lighting so the focussing sound is short and swift. Most prosumer digicams have problem focussing in low lighting and tend to hunt a lot, making noise all the way. Worse thing is that you may not even get the picture you want in the end because the subject had moved by the time the camera achieved focus.

So if you do go for a digicam, I think it would be essential to get one that focusses fast and accurately in low light situations without focus assist of any kind since you wouldn't want to alert or startle your subject with such measures would you? ;) .

From a 4-month old owner of a new DSLR and having switched from pro-consumer camera, there is always the learning curve from a P&S camera to a DSLR. It was frustrating at first but we need a huge dose of patience, especially willingness to 'unlearn" (things we are familiar with before)and re-learn.(new techniques) Many of new DSLR owners (regardless of brand) have been sold on the good things the DSLR can do but not many realise that for the benefits to bear fruit, there is a lot of inputs from the user.

Some specific pointers for newbie - I always try use the Aperture Priority whenever possible, especially under low light conditions. I seldom use SP unless there is a need to catch something in quick motion, for eg, splashing of water, etc. But when you have low light + quick motion, then experience comes in.

I am still learning but the pics are starting to get better - all the best to newbies, just hang on. :)

hello everyone,

thanks a lot for all your responses and advices. i have decided to keep the camera and i will not have done that if not for all your comments and opinions. today, i went home and try the manual focus that one of you adviced. i zoom in, manual focus, zoom to compose, and shoot. it WORKS!!! silent and accurate! i think you people are really kind and wonderful. hope that i will be able to continue to learn many things on this camera from all of you. thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.