exposure of films thru check-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlight

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
does anyone know if it is safe to pack unused film and check them thru custom on a flight? will they be exposed when going thru the check-in belts? or is it better to purchase new films at the new destination?

Hand carry them, don't put them in your checked baggage. If you are not using high speed film, ie >800, you should be fine. If you are really scared, ask the customs guy nicely to handcheck your film, though they might refuse.

so far i have put unused colour neg and slide film on hand luggage (and then exposed film on the return trip) and it does not seem to be a problem. i have read that checked-in luggage goes through larger machines which can potentially zap film - never tried.

to be very safe i guess you can ask them to hand-inspect.

i looked up some other photog's experiences, and this one looks interesting enough:
http://www.scottpix.com/faqs/f162.html

increase dosage?!! woahhhh... anyway i have never asked them to hand-inspect either.

I guess if its a simple return trip its ok. If you have to take a few flights and or other security checks on locations, than it will be a problem.

I have tried before when I report to the press centre a few times a day in HK, unused films that I had with me were all fogged.

But its also true that check-in luggages are subject to higher dose of x ray.

igpenguin said:
so far i have put unused colour neg and slide film on hand luggage (and then exposed film on the return trip) and it does not seem to be a problem. i have read that checked-in luggage goes through larger machines which can potentially zap film - never tried.

to be very safe i guess you can ask them to hand-inspect.

i looked up some other photog's experiences, and this one looks interesting enough:
http://www.scottpix.com/faqs/f162.html

interesting read. even tho it's only one test, certainly put my mind at ease :D

Status
Not open for further replies.