Exposure Latitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

st11x

Jan 12, 2004
Canberra,Australia
Hi all,

I was thinking on a higher end model like the 1Ds,10D,D100, etc, would the sensor have a broad exposure latitude? My guess it wouldn't be that narrow as a trans. So you wouldn't have to compromise on a high constrast scene.

That is really fantastic.

Matt

st11x said:
Hi all,

I was thinking on a higher end model like the 1Ds,10D,D100, etc, would the sensor have a broad exposure latitude? My guess it wouldn't be that narrow as a trans. So you wouldn't have to compromise on a high constrast scene.

Matt
Still about 5 stops. About the same as slide. :(

Regards
CK

st11x said:
Hi all,

Matt
Compromise on high contrast scene - welcome to the world of DSLR photography! ;)

Royce said:
Compromise on high contrast scene - welcome to the world of DSLR photography! ;)

Royce,

I don't mean to take 2 separate shots (1 for highlights, 1 for shadows) and work some PS magic.

Hmm .. wonder if the manufacters will turn their attention to addressing that (and of course a full-frame sensor) instead of the megapixel chase ;)

Matt

st11x said:
Royce,

I don't mean to take 2 separate shots (1 for highlights, 1 for shadows) and work some PS magic.

Hmm .. wonder if the manufacters will turn their attention to addressing that (and of course a full-frame sensor) instead of the megapixel chase ;)

Matt
They do. Those MF digital backs have much larger dynamic range.

But do remember that even if you manage to squeeze 20 stop dymanic range onto the sensor, when it comes to print, it still will not be able to deliver that.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
They do. Those MF digital backs have much larger dynamic range.

No wonder those MF digital backs are so costly.

I wouldn't be too concerned with printing at this stage though, coz that's one of the main reasons for going digital in the first place. The compromise will be made in PS and during printing, but not during capture ;)

At the rate digital imaging is improving, printing technology will mostly likely to catch up soon enough.

Thanks
Matt

st11x said:
No wonder those MF digital backs are so costly.

I wouldn't be too concerned with printing at this stage though, coz that's one of the main reasons for going digital in the first place. The compromise will be made in PS and during printing, but not during capture ;)

At the rate digital imaging is improving, printing technology will mostly likely to catch up soon enough.

Thanks
Matt
Don't forget the monitor too. Consumer level monitors may not show the full dynamic range either. :)

Regards
CK

What is the range of the MF digital backs?

AFAIK, it's the same type of pixels, only more of them - ie, should be the same range. They cost more becoz of the size and low demand.

And also, AFAIK, none of the dSLRs document their dynamic ranges.

Hi st11x,

Fuji SuperCCD SR is supposed to address this issue, and had gotten everybody excited when they announced it in Jan 2003. However, so far it seems that they were unable to make a DSLR with this technology.

See here for more details.

Digital backs have higher dynamic range. Take for example, the "modest"(entry level) PhaseOne H5 already has 8 f-stops.
The H25 has 12 f-stops.
Also these backs have higher colour depth at capture - usually 16bit per colour.

cheers! :)

ziploc said:
See here for more details.

Ziploc,

Thanks for the article. It looks more like a marketing brochure though. Not sure if the Super CCD works as it should. Would be good interesting to see an article that makes the comparison between regular sensors and the Super CCD sensor specifically on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.