exposure?!?! flash????

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireZ

Deregistered
Sep 21, 2008
hi peeps..nid help!!

i realise that..using canon 450d on manual mode, turning on the pop up flash...n setting the aperature at any point (i tested on f3.5 - f8)...the exposure is abt the same no matter how fast/slow i set the shuttle..
y i said that..for example...setting at f8, i tried as fast as shutter of 200 and as slow as 10+++..the exposure seem to b + / - a bit only...
hence i was wondering...is the way i test wrong, or it suppose to b like tat..
feedback from u guys matter coz it determine whether i shd save for tamrom 17-50 f2.8 (using 18-55mm IS now) or flash...

if it happens to b super noob question n will lead to cross fire from those "PRO", kindly dun reply here...
friendly reply welcome..
thanks a lot!
cheers!:)

Last edited:
Hav u tried adjusting ur ISO?

1. It's "shutter". The shuttle is a reusable orbital lift system used by NASA.
2. What setting did you use for the flash? By default, the camera will adjust the flash output to get a consistent exposure. Try setting your flash to full manual if your camera supports it.

hi peeps..nid help!!

i realise that..using canon 450d on manual mode, turning on the pop up flash...n setting the aperature at any point (i tested on f3.5 - f8)...the exposure is abt the same no matter how fast/slow i set the shuttle..
y i said that..for example...setting at f8, i tried as fast as shutter of 200 and as slow as 10+++..the exposure seem to b + / - a bit only...
feedback from u guys matter coz it determine whether i shd save for tamrom 17-50 f2.8 (using 18-55mm IS now) or flash...

if it happens to b super noob question n will lead to cross fire from those "PRO", kindly dun reply here...
friendly reply welcome..
thanks a lot!
You could also adjust your flash exposure compensation.

hi peeps..nid help!!

friendly reply welcome..
thanks a lot!
you camera on manual mode does not mean your built in flash also on manual mode, by default, it is on TTL mode, so you change your aperture, the flash will adjust accordingly to give correct exposure, and flash output has nothing to do with shutter speed. But the exposure of ambient light will be change if you adjust the shutter speed or aperture or both.

OOOooo...thx for answering my question..
coz i tot on manual mode....the flash will be on manual mode...didn't know it will be in auto mode..
thx a lot!!
cheers!;)

OOOooo...thx for answering my question..
coz i tot on manual mode....the flash will be on manual mode...didn't know it will be in auto mode..
thx a lot!!
cheers!;)

Only when u use an external flash unit and set that to manual as well, then you'd have FULL manual control.

TTL with camera manual mode simply rocks cause, give u correct exposure in most situation, Thanks to Canon for their great invention and reworks:)
Happi shooting!!;)

If you fear to ask questions you need to read more as trade-off. You can start here:
http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
Distinguish between Manual Exposure mode and Manual Flash mode.

Your testing should reveal already some details ... e.g. background light. Check again.

TTL with camera manual mode simply rocks cause, give u correct exposure in most situation, Thanks to Canon for their great invention and reworks:)
Happi shooting!!;)

Thanks to Canon??? Nikon first introduced TTL (Through The Lens) flash technology in 1980.

Please, do you really think that canon invented everything???

Got paid for that hailing without knowledge? Just compare how fill flash is implemented by Nikon and Canon, hope that's obvious enough.

Only when u use an external flash unit and set that to manual as well, then you'd have FULL manual control.

i beg to differ thou.. my pop up flash is on manual when i use my old tamron CF lens..

have to meter myself.. =.= but usually i'm lazy.. trial and error.

and spikey86.. u can always buy a pop-up flash diffuser to create different ambience too.. it's not very costly. :)

i beg to differ thou.. my pop up flash is on manual when i use my old tamron CF lens..

This is manual exposure mode, not manual flash mode.

if the camera can't detect the aperture of the lens (as with using old manual lenses with no electronic contacts) then most likely it will fire at full power/manual flash setting.

To add on, you can use the formula GN = aperture x distance to calculate flash exposure. The GN should be given in your user manual but manufacturers generally tend to overestimate GN. You can reduce flash power or increase ISO to adjust flash output if you want to change the aperture value. Finally, shutter speed does not change flash exposure because flash exposure is much faster than the maximum sync speed of most cameras except the Nikon D40, D70 and D70s.

hi peeps..nid help!!

friendly reply welcome..
thanks a lot!

This is definitely not a super noob question. And Kaisiang is spot on about shutter speed not affecting flash exposure at normal sync speeds. So whatever ETTL decide to output at 1/10, the output will be the same at 1/200 and the flash exposure will be the same. Small difference will probably be due to ambient light.

thanks for all e info provided...
well....perhaps nid to re-read the manual to c is there any manual control for the pop up flash for my canon 450d le..
thx peeps!

Status
Not open for further replies.