Exposure display queries..w ext. flash.


Status
Not open for further replies.

ralph

New Member
Feb 8, 2003
65
0
0
Visit site
#1
Hi,

When i fixed up the Nikon sb28 on my F80.

The "Electronic analog exposure display" in the viewfinder has bar indicator all the way to the Negative (-ve) side.
What is the message here??

This only happens in A-mode cos when i set to S or P modes...it disappears.
And when I removed the ext. flash it is gone as well.

I understand that this display usually indicates the differences between my exposure settings and the correct exposure according to the cam. (Am i correct here?)

Appreciate your inputs...
:embrass:
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#2
ralph said:
Hi,

When i fixed up the Nikon sb28 on my F80.

The "Electronic analog exposure display" in the viewfinder has bar indicator all the way to the Negative (-ve) side.
What is the message here??

This only happens in A-mode cos when i set to S or P modes...it disappears.
And when I removed the ext. flash it is gone as well.

I understand that this display usually indicates the differences between my exposure settings and the correct exposure according to the cam. (Am i correct here?)

Appreciate your inputs...
:embrass:
Depends on your setting. The F80 has a flash sync speed of 1/125 and when you attached the flash, it automatically sets it as that.What's your aperature setting? The bar is just telling you that at that setting (f/stop) you are underexposing. But does not mean that your flash cannot compensate for the underexposure.
 

clive

Senior Member
Oct 9, 2002
2,537
0
0
Visit site
#3
if i recall correct,

when i A-priority mode, set to slow sync flash. then it wont stick to the default x-speed (1/125 for your case)

then the negative exposure display in viewfindsr will disappear

which means u r now setup for : longexposure with flash
 

ralph

New Member
Feb 8, 2003
65
0
0
Visit site
#4
coke21 said:
Depends on your setting. The F80 has a flash sync speed of 1/125 and when you attached the flash, it automatically sets it as that.
Noted.

What's your aperature setting? The bar is just telling you that at that setting (f/stop) you are underexposing. But does not mean that your flash cannot compensate for the underexposure.
I started with f5.6...thought that once i open it up to f3.5 (largest aperture on the lens) it will ease up alittle...but it didnt.
In fact, it was underexposing throughout entire aperture range. :dunno:
just dont understand why it indicate such severe underexposure even when i change to a bright scene. AND only in A mode does that happens.
like wat you mentioned...the flash will be intelligent enuff to overcome the underexposure issue...but why doesnt the exposure indicator bar show signs of movement even when i m changing the conditions.. aperture size..brightness of the background etc.

thks!
 

ralph

New Member
Feb 8, 2003
65
0
0
Visit site
#5
basically...just want to ensure that this scenario is 'normal'.

anyone with an identical setup??
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#6
ralph said:
Noted.



I started with f5.6...thought that once i open it up to f3.5 (largest aperture on the lens) it will ease up alittle...but it didnt.
In fact, it was underexposing throughout entire aperture range. :dunno:
just dont understand why it indicate such severe underexposure even when i change to a bright scene. AND only in A mode does that happens.
like wat you mentioned...the flash will be intelligent enuff to overcome the underexposure issue...but why doesnt the exposure indicator bar show signs of movement even when i m changing the conditions.. aperture size..brightness of the background etc.

thks!
What film speed are you using? ISO 400?

Try this, remove your flash, and set to manual and set your shutter speed to 1/125 and set your aperature at f5.6 all the way to f3.5. what does your meter say?
 

MooEy

New Member
Feb 21, 2004
170
0
0
#7
that bar suppose to show the metering for ambience lighting, not the meter for ur sb28.

for most people, just ignore that bar if u are using flash as key lighting. set to something like 1/60 f/5.6, turn on ur flash and shoot away. the ttl flash will handle all the exposure as long u are in range.

if u are using flash outdoor and the meter show overexpose, then u have a little bit of trouble. but if u ever use that flash outdoor, u should know how to handle that problem.

~MooEy~
 

ralph

New Member
Feb 8, 2003
65
0
0
Visit site
#8
What film speed are you using? ISO 400?

Try this, remove your flash, and set to manual and set your shutter speed to 1/125 and set your aperature at f5.6 all the way to f3.5. what does your meter say?
did not load any film...just trying the ext. flash w the cam.
will try out your experiment thou.. :)


MooEy said:
that bar suppose to show the metering for ambience lighting, not the meter for ur sb28.

.....

if u are using flash outdoor and the meter show overexpose, then u have a little bit of trouble. but if u ever use that flash outdoor, u should know how to handle that problem.

~MooEy~
will check out the outdoor scenario soon...


many thks to all advises!! :D
 

ralph

New Member
Feb 8, 2003
65
0
0
Visit site
#9
coke21 said:
......

Try this, remove your flash, and set to manual and set your shutter speed to 1/125 and set your aperature at f5.6 all the way to f3.5. what does your meter say?

tried the above, the exposure indicator stated tt it is underexposed...for all f-stops.
meaning at the shutter speed (1/60s) when i mount the ext. flash...for all f-stops it will underexposed (due to fast shutter),
hence the flash will output the necessary power to overcome this deficiency of the ambient lightings so as to exposed the scene properly.

thks again!!
:sweatsm:
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#10
ralph said:
did not load any film...just trying the ext. flash w the cam.
will try out your experiment thou.. :)

If I'm not wrong, if you don't have any film in the camera, the camera will just assume an ISO 100 film. Perhaps thats why your meter shows underexpose. Try it at higher ISOs.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom