Exposure Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureBull

Apr 13, 2003
Visit site
Silly me, but how do i adjust the exposure of a photo in PS 7 ?

Like if it is underexposed , how to make it "brighter"

you can use level or cuves. select auto or manually adjust.
then increase contrast and brightness

Please note that the brightness/contrast setting are known by many as one of the most tragic and fatal settings. Use the Levels option instead.

Watcher said:
Please note that the brightness/contrast setting are known by many as one of the most tragic and fatal settings. Use the Levels option instead.

So far, I have always used the colour balance and brightness/contrast settings under the Image, Adjustments menu. I realised that under Image, Adjustment, Levels, you can play with the levels to achieve the same effect. You are saying that going the levels path is better. Why is that so? Sorry I'm a PS goondoo.

The effect not the same. Levels changes the mapping of the values to diff brightness values - you retains all your info. Brightness adjusts the brightness by shifting every pixel brighter/darker - you lose the brightest/darkest pixels irrevocably. You get more washed out hightlights or featureless shadows.

When using just the Birghtness/Contrast function, u are virtually working blind, without the histogram helping u make visual judgement. U might risk crushing the blacks thus losing detail in the shadows or clipping the whites, thus losing detail in the highlights also.

Status
Not open for further replies.