EXPOSE yourself - LXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNY exposing!!!

CSC_4460.jpg

Happy CNY to chinese CS-ers, wishing EVERYONE prosperous days ahead, so can get the dream lens/camera!!!

No, No, NO!! The national animal of New Zealand is the sheep. It's found in most fields and out numbers men about 30:1. NZ is known as the land where men like sheep and the sheep are scared. The # publication in Kiwiland is "The sheepshappers monthy" published bi-monthly by B. Leat and Co, Dunedin and endorsed by the sheep farmers of kiwiland Inc.

Tried the number and it connected me to The goat fanciers club of Singapore, when only the best goat won't do.

Sings ... there's a kind of sheep, all over the world tonight...

Oh. And how is goat related to sheep? I kinda got confused over that one too :dunno:

But you also fail to mention that Australia's Sheep stocks are dwindling also, which is why many Aussies are heading to NZ to retire...

Australian sheep flock shrinking: Australia's sheep flock stood at 76.94 million head as of June 2008, down 10 percent, or 8.78 million head from the previous year. This is the lowest Australian sheep flock since 1916, and takes the decline that began in 1990 to 55 percent from the 170.2 million head in the nation's…...

This is the problem with herd mentality...

I will call you Mister Willy Wonky from now... at least until my next lesson on photography, or when I have mastered correcting wonky verticals.

P1180224.jpg

for some reason, people always end up calling me willy.

anyways, i can't remember how i wrote that tutorial thing, it was a while ago. but firstly, you have to understand the few types of things that can screw up your verticals.

1) barrel distortion or pincushion distortion, this is lens characteristic, you can only correct it post process. easiest way to understand this is to look at verticals/horizontals through a fisheye lens, or examples. for normal wide angle lens, or uwa, you will usually have milder variations of barrel distortion.

2) how parallel your camera sensor is to the vertical - easiest way is to go to a wall column, where you have two verticals near to each other. alternative is to think of looking up at chopsticks memorial up close - when you look up, verticals converge - this is called the keystone effect.

for your picture, i am not sure what #1 is, since i am not a user of your lens.

#2 is present in huge quantities there - this is a problem and limitation of photography. even if you use a tilt shift lens here (mainly for the problem of keystone effect), you will probably not be able to correct that much. i couldn't say for sure though, i have had a brief encounter with a t/s lens once only.

so you have angled your camera way upwards, probably something like / relative to the vertical |.

verticals do not always need to be corrected, as i wrote.. the keystone effect can be used to great effect to emphasize the height of a building, bring out a mood of "looming", etc. :)

oh , and i forgot, tilt of camera, i.e. camera is not level horizontally, causing vertical tilt.

whatever the case, i do not think it is correctable here -

i used lens distort tool in photoshop cs2, even after correcting -100, the verticals were nowhere near straight:

Untitled-2.gif

further step correction to -97 made some parts look right, some parts not. conclusion is that there is also tilt.

verticals are easier to correct when you are trying to get them straight, i.e. ensure camera back relative parallel to the true vertical.. use centre as reference for presence of tilt. to get it 100% correct in camera, spirit level will solve all problems for sure, if used properly.

correction of verticals usually results in loss of pixels, as you can see from the print screen attached, a lot of things have started to go missing. also , there is image degradation if serious correction is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.