EXpo-sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

stimbijik

Dec 11, 2006
very far
Hi everyone....its has been a long time since the last one of your critiques. So here is one pic i've taken recently.

2115199680_929d13986b.jpg

Actually, my intention are to capture some star trails. But since the wind are too strong and the stars are blocked by the fast moving clouds. Picture taken with ISO 100 at aperture f20 bulb mode and exposed for about 10minutes....my questions are:

1) since i am using ISO 100, why my picture still grainy?
2) in bulb mode, how to gauge the exposure time to get a crisp sharp picture?
3) any other comments?? :lovegrin:

I can't answer any of your questions but I really like this pic! :thumbsup:

i dun see no grainy stuff... i can see 1 star.... but seriously nice..... i too a newbie, if i were to take the shot, i would include the sky more and the fence maybe cover about 1/3 of the picture....

Simple composition with a very good impact. I like this picture.

1. Long exposure will also result in noise. Turning on Long exposure Noise Reduction on your camera will help resolve some of these issues.

2. Meter your subject using an ISO/aperture combination which gives you a shutter speed of faster than 30seconds. From there you can calculate the ISO/aperture required when say you want to expose for 10 minutes. Anyway, crisp/sharp images have more to do with shake than anything else. So a firm steady tripod is important.

3. Oh, and I think you won't be able to see much of a star trail with only 10 minutes of exposure. You need to be looking at hours. Not minutes.

Very dramatic, love it.

thanks all for the comments......how to actually calculate until hours?? ok since the time will be in hours then will the lenses and camera have dew on them???

Well... every 1 stop you lose by dropping the ISO or aperture, you need to up exposure time by 1 stop. so.. for example.. 1s 2s 4s 8s 15s 30s 60s 2min 4min 8min 15min 30min... 1 hr.. 2 hr... 4 hr... you get the idea?

I think you can try asking in the Night Photography sub-forum on how to get nice star trails. The regulars there would be more than willing to help you out :)

Excellent photograph! =D

I've heard that some cameras produce photographs with noise even at low ISO when the lighting is really bad. Hope that helps.

:p

i believe you use a tripod to take it ?
haha

I personally like the picture. I am a newbie in SLR, so this is the first time i know that such a picture can be done.

will go back to experiment on my cam.

:)

Thank you,

Ns shot overall but maybe the fence was too dominant in the photo slightly more sky might have helped. My personal feeling. :D

:) thanks ilsam, littlemog, anti-social and guohuige.......the reason why i cant have more sky is because .......during this time there are many fishing hobbyist around with luminous rod...and that can affect the long exposure....actually i wanted to hold it longer but some guy just curiously bring his rod and lok see look see what i am doing.....the rod was actually in the picture on the extreme left...but i cropped it away....i felt like beating the guy with my tripod :bsmilie: but lucky he is bigger than me....if he primary school children sure get beaten up ....:bsmilie:

Wah u did a good job on removing that rod, i can't see a scratch :bsmilie:

Wah u did a good job on removing that rod, i can't see a scratch :bsmilie:

Errr i did not stamp tool it....i just crop it out....so here is the original picture...you can see the rod and the bugger movement, he walked towards the camera and walked off..:dunno:

changilongexposureori.jpg

Wah no choice to crop la

Wow, nice background. Given the chance, I'll just take the shot of the sky itself, and then use it as photoshopped-in background for any subject that needs that superlative presentation.

"Introducing, MEGA fence!!"

But of course, a wooden fence is hardly superlative to anything by itself...

Hi everyone....its has been a long time since the last one of your critiques. So here is one pic i've taken recently.

2115199680_929d13986b.jpg

Actually, my intention are to capture some star trails. But since the wind are too strong and the stars are blocked by the fast moving clouds. Picture taken with ISO 100 at aperture f20 bulb mode and exposed for about 10minutes....my questions are:

1) since i am using ISO 100, why my picture still grainy?

(Image might have been underexposed in some areas, therefore when pushing up the details in shadow areas, noise still surface, and noise is not a bad thing).

2) in bulb mode, how to gauge the exposure time to get a crisp sharp picture?

(crisp sharp picture in long exposure means a super sturdy tripod, and mirror up before shooting, using a remote cable to trigger the shutter, this helps loads).

3) any other comments?? :lovegrin:

(I like the overall composition... very nice).

Ouch, some banding/patterned noise is starting to get obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.