Explain this phenomenon with optical theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
When I shoot the buildings with 300mm lens from a few kilometers away, the
lines obviously become spoilt but it doesn't look like jaggies caused by the resizing.

How do I explain this in theory?

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
more specifically

atmospheric refraction, the same thing that causes mirages, and in lesser degree the "shimmering" effect here

read this

then again, maybe is handshake, i don't know hurhur, but science wise, assuming that you did all the shooting correct that should be the explanation

wanzw

Aug 15, 2006
i think is the heat waves that causes some degree of distortion to the final picture.

light cannot travel in an absolute straight line because of the air molecules?

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
more specifically

atmospheric refraction, the same thing that causes mirages, and in lesser degree the "shimmering" effect here

read this

then again, maybe is handshake, i don't know hurhur, but science wise, assuming that you did all the shooting correct that should be the explanation
yeah, i guess that is the theory!
thank you!
:)

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
i think is the heat waves that causes some degree of distortion to the final picture.

light cannot travel in an absolute straight line because of the air molecules?
didn't see that in naked eyes though.
density of air in different places are different.. then deflects(?)/defract(?) light rays.. am i right?

Quest

Oct 16, 2006
same theory as mountains in the horizon has a different hue due to dust &/or moisture in the atmosphere

J-Chan

Sep 21, 2005
didn't see that in naked eyes though.
density of air in different places are different.. then deflects(?)/defract(?) light rays.. am i right?
actually I think you can see this effect with your naked eyes.. if you have been stuck in a traffic jam before and looked at the whole line of vehicles infront of you..

yea, light refracts when it passes through mediums of different density..

satay16

Jan 14, 2006
you have a lemon. time to go service centre.:bsmilie:

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
actually I think you can see this effect with your naked eyes.. if you have been stuck in a traffic jam before and looked at the whole line of vehicles infront of you..

yeah, engine exhaust..
camp fire also can see that.

Jul 19, 2007
more specifically

read this

yup. the article explains it all

nothing to do with the lens or the cam

GavinTing

Oct 16, 2007

Actually, I believe thats the gas fumes :bsmilie:

But I do think it's possible to see with naked eyes. Not in Singapore at least, but I see it sometimes in "HOT" countries.

BUZ_BUZ

Aug 25, 2006
Actually, I believe thats the gas fumes :bsmilie:

But I do think it's possible to see with naked eyes. Not in Singapore at least, but I see it sometimes in "HOT" countries.
??? Tell me please .

Jul 30, 2006
Just look at the car surface under hot sun and u can observe this effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom