Expired film

Status
Not open for further replies.
shoot one roll and verify for yourself once and for all :cool:

what sort of film and how old ?

maybe you could use it and cross process for some interesting results.

slide processed in C-41

neg processed in E-6

My experience - within a few months after the expiry date, film is still usable (fuji brand - dunno about other brands).

Hahaha... had another thread like this one some weeks back.
I had a roll of Ektachrome that was expired by 5 years.... took it out and got some really funky colours...... :p

yes you can use expired film. in fact, the expiry date is actually the best time to use the film. the chemicals in film are sensitive to not only light, but heat and time. assuming the film has been stored under normal temperatures and it's not been exposed to light, then time is the only real remaining factor. obviously, consumer film is designed to sit on the shelf for some time (years), so manufacturers design film to be a bit 'raw' at first. it matures to its optimum age around the expiry date, afterwhich its performance starts to decline... every so slowly and slightly (basically unnoticeable). don't worry, consumer film that's a year or maybe two after expiry will work like new. no problem. higher end films, pro films are not designed to sit on shelves as long and come out of the factory right at their optimal 'age'. the reason why you see them in refrigerators is to keep them at that age. in fact, if you want, you can freeze film to keep it at a certain age indefintely. just make sure you thaw the film completely before opening the container, otherwise water will condense on the film or perhaps even crack.

GJ

Its b & w film - Ilford 100 delta professional. Expired for about 1 year :D

unless you're picky.... I suspect that the film will still work fine. I wouldn't go doing any important work with it, but there's no harm in trying it I guess. being black and white I don't think you'd be worried about funny colours or anything. if you're into digital and scan your film, you'd probably be able to fix anything with slight adjustments in PS. but that's just my opinion.

GJ

i'm testing out a few rolls of Ektachrome 100, expiry dated 03/1996. will post results when i finally finish shooting... :D

Originally posted by filofari
:D I'm not picky just do not want to spoil the cam thats all :embrass:
ooohhhhhh, no lah don't think there's any way expired film will spoil your cam. the only thing you'll end up with is yuckky photos. don't see how it can affect your cam, unless it's really dusty or something. :D

Originally posted by filofari
Its b & w film - Ilford 100 delta professional. Expired for about 1 year :D

how do u store your neg???

u can try:

1) develope some frame of it... (with or without shooting) and see the result.... compare to your other neg... see if its the SAME...

2) shoot it over expose but 1 to 2 stop... then do normal developing.... usually expire films are good for cross process....

i have being using expire slides develope in C41 then, print it on B/W... the difference from the NORMAL Monochrome is that, it has only Black and white, u can't see grey tone AT ALL... if u like grains, IT have beautiful grains.... i prefer this than HIE...

Status
Not open for further replies.