Experts pls recommend newbie a Digicam

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Hi guys, I need some advice from you on getting a digital camera.
I am a newbie and would like to learn photography but I never owned a DC before. I did read up quite a bit on forums and in particular ClubSnap since last year. Hence thinking of getting a normal compact with enough feature ranges such as aperture and shutter speed variations to learn before I get a DSLR next year.
my requirements are:

1. At least 4MP
2. At least 6 optical zoom
3. not the sortinto macro shots, more into landscape and portraits
4. Good for low light/night conditions
5. Good range of aperture, shutter speed or any other features where I can play around and learn about it.
6. Black camera which look like those DSLRs (no choice, personal preference;))
7. Video recording with sound
8. Anti-shake(if possible)
9. Budget-$500(negotiable)

I have been looking at black cameras such as Fuji S500,5500,7000 and the Minolta Z series...but now I think I m keeping away from Minolta after my bros Z3 spolit less than half a year...

Can the experts out there recommend me some cameras with the price roughly according to the checklist above?

geez, u really r on a tight budget. :sweat:

tink u'll hav 2 save up more if u looking 4 a DC w/ such specs. u can try d resale market 4 older models.

Actually I just called Alan Photos, S5500 now at 460....S7000 no stock...waiting for it to arrive...MS hotos and CAthay say both models discon....

but my budget is negotiable....pls suggest...its all right...

maybe a used model would meet your requirement .. however definitely not

If you're looking into landscape, get one of those with lens starting from 28mm-xx, else you will probably need to buy WA converter later.

Too bad that you exclude Minolta, else a used A1 (5MP, 28-200, w/ AS) will fit your requirement with a little stretch of you budget.. :bsmilie:

How much is the A1 right now? Wondering hows the S5500 at 460...cos 2 weeks ago i read someone got it at 480...but its aperture and shutter speed range is much worse than S7000

And also does anyone knwo of other shops other than Alan, Ms, cathay and John 3:16 which sells reasonable price?

How about Panasonic DMC-FZ5? fit into your category, except cheapest price is >$660, unless second hand.

boroangel said:
Hi guys, I need some advice from you on getting a digital camera.
I am a newbie and would like to learn photography but I never owned a DC before. I did read up quite a bit on forums and in particular ClubSnap since last year. Hence thinking of getting a normal compact with enough feature ranges such as aperture and shutter speed variations to learn before I get a DSLR next year.
my requirements are:

1. At least 4MP
2. At least 6 optical zoom
3. not the sortinto macro shots, more into landscape and portraits
4. Good for low light/night conditions
5. Good range of aperture, shutter speed or any other features where I can play around and learn about it.
6. Black camera which look like those DSLRs (no choice, personal preference;))
7. Video recording with sound
9. Budget-$500(negotiable)

I have been looking at black cameras such as Fuji S500,5500,7000 and the Minolta Z series...but now I think I m keeping away from Minolta after my bros Z3 spolit less than half a year...

Can the experts out there recommend me some cameras with the price roughly according to the checklist above?

Like what zcf said, if oyu can stretch you budget a bit, can go for the Panasonic FZ-5 selling for $666

Good choice for newbie.

Call 64576380 and look for Mr Loh or Florence and say I asked you to call.

Cheers....

felixcat8888 said:
Like what zcf said, if oyu can stretch you budget a bit, can go for the Panasonic FZ-5 selling for $666

Good choice for newbie.

Cheers....

Mind PM me their shop and your name cos I am going down to Sim Lim?

What do you guys think of S5500?

felixcat8888 said:

Good choice for newbie.

Cheers....

Just tell them felixcat8888 or?

happy shopping, mayb by tt time u hav already decided its not worth saving pennyz while buying a 2nd or 3rd choice cam on ur list.

happy shopping, happy snapping! :bsmilie:

maybe can consider Kyocera M410R, black body, 10x optical zoom (37-370mm), shutter & aperture priority, bright lens (f2.8-3.1), handles like a compact, all at list price $499. could be cheaper @ all our fav shops :cool:

boroangel said:
Mind PM me their shop and your name cos I am going down to Sim Lim?

What do you guys think of S5500?

So sorry for not checking the thread. My real name is Felix. MS is in AMK not SLS/Funan.

Call before going down 64576380.

Cheers..

Hope that you have decided on the cam you are interested in.

Opps...I already bought my S5500 at Alan Photos the fri before...loving it...

Hi, I just bought S5500 recently too from SLS. I like it alot. How much do you pay for it? I bought it @ a package price.

S5500 + Bag + Fujifilm Tripod + Filter Len + 512 xD card = $635

Do you think its a good buy?

Enjoy Shooting~~

S5500 + Bag + 256MB XD card = $540

Status
Not open for further replies.