Expert in Wood Work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you need to do???
i grew up watching my father doing it. ;p

Hahhaa.. thanks for making me smile. I am actually wondering how hard it would be stain a piece of wooden furniture that has varnished already.. Or can i simply paint over it? :)

no much experience in wood work.

But I would presume the vanished coating (if thick enough) would prevent the stain to pass through (evenly), so you may need to sand away the vanish coating before staining the wood?

Hahhaa.. thanks for making me smile. I am actually wondering how hard it would be stain a piece of wooden furniture that has varnished already.. Or can i simply paint over it? :)

lacquering ar? not my forte...

too tedious... must apply, sand, apply again, sand, apply again, sand... 3 or 5 coats... the more the merrier...

Staining.

Basically, most of the work involves prepping the wood.

The old finish has to be completely stripped away, and the wood has to be sanded and prepped to accept the new stain. This is the part which involves the most work.

Many light coats work better than a few heavy coats.

Search 'how to stain wood' on the i.net. I'm sure there are many excellent articles around as DIY is a humongous thing in the US.

Most of the materials can be gotten from a well-stocked paint store, or any paint/hardware dealer in most industrial estates. They could probably also give you a few tips and hints as well. Look up the commercial and industrial guide and call ahead to check for supplies.

Some very well-stocked hardware stores would also have all the materials you need, or at least most of them. Again, just call ahead to check and avoid wasted trips.

CHEERS!

Here's where Debbie Travis' show comes in handy.
I think you have to either find some solution to remove the vanish or scrape it away.
Then sand the surface to throughly remove very bit of the vanish.
Den you can start staining.

But i think if the vanish coat is thin, you can actually sand it off.

Good luck.. you'll need to sand everything down until you expose the wood surface.. Then you can stain it.. Even a thin layer of varnish will cause uneven staining.

bo5010_l.jpg

u need tis

bo5010_l.jpg

u need tis

Haha, I know Makita very, very well. Good for walls, or anything that has got large flat surface. Your wooden furniture ain't that flat based on what I know.

I suggest you get some solvent - faster and more efficient way la. :thumbsup:

Yep as what others have said, you probably need to sand the other layer off first.

I am not actually sure if i can afford the time to do it up though... :embrass:

I'm sorely tempted to simply layer paint on top of the varnish... ;(

try and see wat happens lor :) the most u sand off everything and start over :p

Hi Wolfgang,
My work involves woodworking.
One thing for sure, to re-stain, you definitely need to strip off any coating that's already on the surface of the wood, sand it down to get rid of any old stain residue that may be caught in the wood grain. If your your furniture has intricate carvings or profiles, you will need a high level of expertise so I suggest you send it to a professional. Unfortunately there are not many good carpenters left in S'pore who can do a good stain/lacquer job so please expect difficulty to find one and of course, a high price for the work done.
I know this because my work is mostly done in places like Vietnam, China & Philippines. Nobody wants to be a carpenter here anymore.
Call me tomorrow and I'll try to answer any other queries that you may have.

melvin 91540064

Hi Wolfgang,
My work involves woodworking.
One thing for sure, to re-stain, you definitely need to strip off any coating that's already on the surface of the wood, sand it down to get rid of any old stain residue that may be caught in the wood grain. If your your furniture has intricate carvings or profiles, you will need a high level of expertise so I suggest you send it to a professional. Unfortunately there are not many good carpenters left in S'pore who can do a good stain/lacquer job so please expect difficulty to find one and of course, a high price for the work done.
I know this because my work is mostly done in places like Vietnam, China & Philippines. Nobody wants to be a carpenter here anymore.
Call me tomorrow and I'll try to answer any other queries that you may have.

melvin 91540064

Thanks Melvin. :) Will ring you sometime tomorrow... :)

try and see wat happens lor :) the most u sand off everything and start over :p

It will not work. Don't think it will even stick. Wood stains are not paint and will not adhere.

Thats a good point; thot he was referring to using coloured varnish - all the more sanding shd be done :)

It will not work. Don't think it will even stick. Wood stains are not paint and will not adhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.