Expert Help: Safrotto Bags good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedwerkz

Jun 13, 2004
Are the Safrotto series of bags good ? Been searching through the forum, and it seems to be recommended as a cheap alternative to LowePro bags. Currently eyeing the L100 which goes for $45, within my budget of $50 to spend on a bag. (However, padding seems abit thin, and stitching looks as if it might come loose after awhile). The other alternative I'm looking at is the Crumpler Stamp Claimer, but it seems like a tight fit, if I intend to get other accesories next time.

I'm currently using a PowerShot S1-IS, and I do intend to get the lens adapter with a couple of filters in the near future, and maybe a slave flash unit too. Did considered the LowePro Nova series, but the design didn't really appeal to me. Hope the gurus here can help me with some recommendations. Thanks.

I'm no expert but comparing the price of a Safrotto and it's equivalent in the Lowepro range, I'll take the Safrotto any day for its much cheaper prices. It comes with every thing that the Lowepro has.

Both are made in China anyway. :p

The L100 is supposed to be the same as the LowePro Stealth Reporter AW 100 rite ? Actually I did went to Cathay Photo to take a look, and the Safrotto L100 looks different inside compared to the LowePro Stealth 100, configuration looks similar, but I think the LowePro seems stiffer, with cardboard in the paddings, while the L100 has just soft foam padding.

After using it for sometime i dont feel secure that the bag will not give away under the heaviness of the bodies and lens ... i tell u my advise. If u are spending thousands of dollars on your gears...why do u want to safe on a few ten of dollars for a bag. Get a bag that will make you feel comfortable and secure. I am not said that Safrotto is no good. Just for your self if you like a cheap bag or a firm bag you like to carry.

zedwerkz said:
Are the Safrotto series of bags good ? Been searching through the forum, and it seems to be recommended as a cheap alternative to LowePro bags. Currently eyeing the L100 which goes for $45, within my budget of $50 to spend on a bag. (However, padding seems abit thin, and stitching looks as if it might come loose after awhile). The other alternative I'm looking at is the Crumpler Stamp Claimer, but it seems like a tight fit, if I intend to get other accesories next time.

I'm currently using a PowerShot S1-IS, and I do intend to get the lens adapter with a couple of filters in the near future, and maybe a slave flash unit too. Did considered the LowePro Nova series, but the design didn't really appeal to me. Hope the gurus here can help me with some recommendations. Thanks.

Safrotto has its good and bad points.

Good
The padded inserts are thinner, hence the bag has greater carrying capacity compared to similar Lowepro/Domke models.

Bad
The padded inserts are thinner and are not as robust and do not hold their shape as well as comparable Domke/Lowepro models.

Hmm..I did consider adding foam paddings into the bag myself to toughen it up...the end product would most likely offer more protection than the original LowePro model.

Jason H0 said:
If u are spending thousands of dollars on your gears...why do u want to safe on a few ten of dollars for a bag. Get a bag that will make you feel comfortable and secure.

Well said.

There is usually a price to pay for quality. And then there are always those that looks like the quality stuff, but.....

Cheers,

Opinion from a Safrotto user:

I'm using CF100 now.

cf100.jpg

Yes, it's a Domke imitation. But then the material quality is superb. Tough and durable. Agreed that the stitching looks abit loose, but i have been using it frequently for 3-4 months now and the stitch is still very much intact. I always carry my DSLR, two flashes, three lenses, four sets of four AA batteries and a book (to read on my bus journey) when i go for shooting. Secure.

Even the two rubbery strips on the shoulder strap provides good friction to prevent the bag from slipping forward or backwards.

Indeed, the inner paddings are thin, but they still provide good protection. Anyway, we don't go bump around with our bags ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.