Experimental Photography


Status
Not open for further replies.

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
1,028
0
0
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
#1
I have been experimenting with flowers under unusual lighting conditions. Highly experimental, still trying out a couple of techniques. All comments and suggestions are welcomed! :)

1The Abstinence of Reúcheurrie
 

#2
i can pinpoint exactly why, but these images seem refreshingly nice. maybe it is the blue of the background? :) i think this series is getting somewhere, just keep pegging on. :thumbsup:
no.1 has nice composition, no.2 is too empty at bottom right and some of the oof leaves are a bit distracting (although not all of them, maybe its just the placement), no.3 is too cluttered imho.

btw, i thought you are allowed to post only one shot at a time in this forum
 

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
1,028
0
0
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
#4
vkashi said:
i can pinpoint exactly why, but these images seem refreshingly nice. maybe it is the blue of the background? :) i think this series is getting somewhere, just keep pegging on. :thumbsup:
no.1 has nice composition, no.2 is too empty at bottom right and some of the oof leaves are a bit distracting (although not all of them, maybe its just the placement), no.3 is too cluttered imho.

btw, i thought you are allowed to post only one shot at a time in this forum
Hey thank you :)

Oh yes, rusted after leaving the forum for a couple of months.
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#8
though the lighting effect is nice the pictures don't work, surveyed the pictures a couple of rounds and still don't quite get anything. maybe keep your composition simple for a start.
 

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
1,028
0
0
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
#11
eikin said:
though the lighting effect is nice the pictures don't work, surveyed the pictures a couple of rounds and still don't quite get anything. maybe keep your composition simple for a start.
Not entirely sure if this sound fleasible, but I am rather an abstract expressionist, I am looking for a very surreal form of photography. Really hard to define at this stage, but I am pursuing for a variant of colour-rich, a variant without distinctive nature, or rather indirectly and perhaps even directly trying to be out of the limits.

I fully endorse with the "simple composition for a start", but I find myself unable to associate with that form of composition. Its sort of unwilling, yet maybe even resisting to attempt.

Its like a feeling; while I take something that takes up a simple and direct form, I feel like the image is inferior. Perhaps its personal taste, I guess. :)
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#12
Slivester said:
Not entirely sure if this sound fleasible, but I am rather an abstract expressionist, I am looking for a very surreal form of photography. Really hard to define at this stage, but I am pursuing for a variant of colour-rich, a variant without distinctive nature, or rather indirectly and perhaps even directly trying to be out of the limits.

I fully endorse with the "simple composition for a start", but I find myself unable to associate with that form of composition. Its sort of unwilling, yet maybe even resisting to attempt.

Its like a feeling; while I take something that takes up a simple and direct form, I feel like the image is inferior. Perhaps its personal taste, I guess. :)
simple is not direct.

starting simple allows you to observe and analyse your subject(s) intensely.

do not do things for the sake of avoiding something else, that's closing options. the thought that some other form is inferior already limits your creativity.

if you want to look for examples, zaren has a couple of intensely colourful abstract pieces that are simple in composition but charged with imagination.
 

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
1,028
0
0
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
#13
eikin said:
simple is not direct.
eikin said:
starting simple allows you to observe and analyse your subject(s) intensely.
do not do things for the sake of avoiding something else, that's closing options. the thought that some other form is inferior already limits your creativity.
if you want to look for examples, zaren has a couple of intensely colourful abstract pieces that are simple in composition but charged with imagination.
Well I supposed these 3 pictures are still in a stage of experiment like the title suggests.

For now, I am still pleased with this form of composition. But of course there will be refining, and simplifying will be considered.

Like I said, simplicity is not entirely what I intend to capture. I did not mention that simple is direct, though inevitably they are associated. I meant I don't want my pictures to take in a simple and foreseeable form. In a way I am trying to do something almost like a camouflage, to actually say.

I believe abstract should not be authoritative in a sense, and by being authoritative in the process of producing certainly could compromise the work's aesthetic values, especially for abstract.

That will mean, a person who composes a simple yet abstract image is almost programmed to do it without obligation; another person who does it in another form or style is also in a sense, programmed to do what was done.

A sordid work to us could be a highly-acclaimed work of art to critics or even something that fetch more money when compared to a "delightful" work. Like I said, it’s based on personal point of view.

I believe you are misunderstood my point on feeling that other images are inferior.

Creativity to me is only limited or restricted when a deliberate change of style or manner in the process of creation is enforced. That is almost equivalent to the theory that art is based solely on what the artist believe, and not the audience. Of course in our overly-capitalistic society today there is no such freedom. Commercialism has brought the audience to the top. :)

Please don't feel that I am rejecting your critiques or your suggestion, on the contrary, they are more than appreciated by me. It’s just that I feel that there is a need to explain, especially about the purpose of composing in that manner.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom