Experiences as a seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribal.snake

Dec 7, 2006
west side!
Recently I been selling a lot of my stuff online (ebay, clubsnap, etc...), not that I need the money, but more for spring cleaning and a possible move overseas. In doing so, I encountered many "interesting" experiences and would like to share some of them here.

Do feel free to contribute and add on.
Not to invite flames wars but just sharing for fun i guess.

1. A "student" called me about a camera and ask for lower price being a "overseas poor" student. so when we met up, he drove up in a lexus.... :sweat: and on chatting, was a bloody law student in nus.

2. Was selling my leica on ebay last yr. Encountered a seller who sent me an essay on how m8 was the way to go, and the older Ms were just for fun and have to be sold cheap. He recommended my m6 be sold to him for 200 USD... :bsmilie:

3. Someone sms me "all 5 DX lenses for 3000, self pickup" so i went "too low for package deal". then he went "DX lenses being phased out by nikon, sell now to me to get good price"... i went silent. :bigeyes: i later found out which dealer it was at peninsula.

4. Another "student" email me abt having installment plans for a phone, "can you let me have the phone now. i need one urgently and am a poor student. i will pay you back in installments over 6 months". ok sounds reasonable, but wth a poor student need a nokia communicator for?! :dunno:

5. A 30+ guy came to collect a bag i had offered free for students in another forum. He came with a student card and said that he was collecting on behalf of his son. So i ask him what was his name, it was Chua. The "son"'s surname was Wong... :sticktong

6. This one was funny. A gal called me abt a laptop i was selling. the conversation went like... "i really need this laptop for my work. i will pay u in installments and u can come to ktv for drinks for free." so which ktv was she talking abt? tian an men...

o man... the things some ppl do...

moral of the story is never let low ballers get the better of you...

3. Someone sms me "all 5 DX lenses for 3000, self pickup" so i went "too low for package deal". then he went "DX lenses being phased out by nikon, sell now to me to get good price"... i went silent. :bigeyes: i later found out which dealer it was at peninsula.

5. A 30+ guy came to collect a bag i had offered free for students in another forum. He came with a student card and said that he was collecting on behalf of his son. So i ask him what was his name, it was Chua. The "son"'s surname was Wong... :sticktong

6. This one was funny. A gal called me abt a laptop i was selling. the conversation went like... "i really need this laptop for my work. i will pay u in installments and u can come to ktv for drinks for free." so which ktv was she talking abt? tian an men...

These 3 are funny. :bsmilie:

Encountered another type of buyer.
Price negotiated and confirmed, but when meet up bargain again for another $2-$5 off.
I just let go as do not want to waste my time over a few bucks.
Just treat it as giving to charity.

:bsmilie: I like the poor student in Lexus one, reminds me of my own 'poor student' encounter when I was selling a dry cabinet some years back

they always say they are poor, but they come in a car when viewing...i must be rich then ,always need to sell to make month's end.:bsmilie:

:bsmilie: I like the poor student in Lexus one, reminds me of my own 'poor student' encounter when I was selling a dry cabinet some years back

Maybe he's really broke after paying for the lexus.

woah so many ppl like tt ar...
This world no hope liao...

Do you have any idea how much these gals make in 1 week?
A lot.

Last edited:
a lot of stuff I can relate to :D

thanks for sharing. That was a laugh.

not forgetting, the recent joke something about wanting 1 to 1 exchange 2 mths after purchase iirc.

wa that guy...i don't know is he trying to act blur to avoid paying for the repair or what :dunno:

hilarious

i have gotten the student one so often that i'm numb to it, cannot even be bothered to tell them that i am also a poor student :bsmilie:

Of late, if you are a buyer, do not try to tell those "I am a poor as5hole" story .... it'll not work anymore...

I think if you tell a "I am a rich man looking for some cheap buys" story will carry more weight since there are so few rich people around now ....:bsmilie::sweatsm:

hilarious

i have gotten the student one so often that i'm numb to it, cannot even be bothered to tell them that i am also a poor student :bsmilie:

i lagi more lor, till i sian.......... is like that one la, all sorts of "interesting" stories around

:bsmilie: Thanks for sharing, tribal.snake!
Hilarious stuff.;)

I'm afraid i haven't had any of such incidents!
(On second thoughts, i'm very VERY grateful:p)

Thanks for sharing. The moral of the story is don't sell to them if they said they're poor etc etc.

maybe put in the ad: no installement plan or buy first pay later scheme.

I'm quite a budgeted student too, but hearing how many rich or older people have made use of this tactic, i'm ashamed to even mention the word "i'm a student" or even "i'm studying at bla bla bla". :think:

I would rather wait to buy if my budget is that tight :D

Status
Not open for further replies.