Experience with F2.8 constant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scenic_mmx

Apr 21, 2004
Hi

I had a look at a Nikkor 80-200mm lens with constant F2.8

How do I control the light input for such a constant aperture?.
I am used to the traditional type where the F-stop is variable
(either manually or via the camera).

I was thinking of using it with my D70.
Anyone out there have any experience with such lens?

scenic_mmx said:
Hi

I had a look at a Nikkor 80-200mm lens with constant F2.8

How do I control the light input for such a constant aperture?.
I am used to the traditional type where the F-stop is variable
(either manually or via the camera).

I was thinking of using it with my D70.
Anyone out there have any experience with such lens?

You can still change the fstop.. the constant means that it is constant f2.8 throughout from 80mm to 200mm.. unlike some lens where when you zoom in, the fstop changes..

Constant F2.8 just means that even if you zoom to 200mm, the fastest you can go is still 2.8 but you still can go up to F22 or more.

The constant f2.8 refers to at 80mm and at 200mm, the widest aperture remains at f2.8. Unlike lens, eg 28-200 F3.5-F5.6, the widest aperture changes at different focal length.
The 80-200mm F2.8 lens has other aperture setting which you can still set.
Hope this helps ;)

meaning a constant lens at f2.8 is a much better lens?? :think:

how much does such a lens cost? and what range of zoom does it come in??

bsplenden said:

Not necessarily.
Depend on the quality of the glass also.
Maybe if Nikon one day releases full ED glass lens .... maybe a non-constant will be as sharp too :)

AF 80-200 / 2.8 D ED will cost around $1000+ used I believe.
AFS one is dearer ... AFS 70-200 / 2.8 G VR is even more :sweat:

Constant aperture lens range ? well .. browse around Nikon.com.sg .. you'll get the idea :)

bsplenden said:

much better will depend on your needs. before you buy, ask yourself if you really need a constant f2.8. such lenses are very expensive and heavy.

you can get a 2nd hand 70-210 f4-5.6 AF-D for as little as $200. if you want one the same lense with a constant f2.8 over the entire zoom range, look to spend $1000+, maybe more. (and it's a big, heavy mother to boot.)

Yeap, currently i'm using primes.. And the feeling of a constant aperture sure beats a variable hands down! For one when you zoom, you dun need to worry if the camera changes the Shutter/Aperture settings..

Gotta keep in mind that zoom lenses with constant apertures are usually heavy things.. And they have a huge front to boot :D

OzOn3 said:
Yeap, currently i'm using primes.. And the feeling of a constant aperture sure beats a variable hands down! For one when you zoom, you dun need to worry if the camera changes the Shutter/Aperture settings..

exposure can change when you zoom even when using constant maximum aperture lenses

OzOn3 said:

i think what he means is for example when using somethign like 28-105/f3.5-4.5, @28mm he set f3.5 then never touch anything else then by the time zoom to 105mm, the cam body "force" him to use f4.5 ie the "Shutter/Aperture settings" as mentioned by ozon3 has "changed" in this manner. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.