Experience to share with using Lee Grad. ND Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rchia23

Jul 4, 2004
First off, IMHO Clubsnap rulez when it comes to photography in Singapore.

Now was wondering if anyone has experience using Lee Graduated ND Filters, such as do they sell them as a set, pricing and what the quality is like, etc.

Thinking of getting this set to handle sunsets/sunrise and high contrast situations. Any comment would be much appreciated. :D

I use it mainly for landscape on my 4x5. The most important or rather useful is the 2 stop & 1 stop hard grad. Most people will recommend that begineer to use soft grad. Take a look at a soft grad in Cathay photo, you will find that its almost 2/3 transparent, leaving just 1/3 for the ND part.

As for positioning of the hard grad filter, it is not as difficult as many claim. A combination of the 2 filters can be used as a 3 stop filter, which is very useful!

Regards
Tachi..

Tachi said:
I use it mainly for landscape on my 4x5. The most important or rather useful is the 2 stop & 1 stop hard grad. Most people will recommend that begineer to use soft grad. Take a look at a soft grad in Cathay photo, you will find that its almost 2/3 transparent, leaving just 1/3 for the ND part.

As for positioning of the hard grad filter, it is not as difficult as many claim. A combination of the 2 filters can be used as a 3 stop filter, which is very useful!

Regards
Tachi..

Many thanks for sharing your experience. Was thinking that the soft grad would soften the transition between the low and high contrast area whereby a hard grad would give a 'harsher' line distinction between them. Would the 'divider' line be significantly visible on your photo by using the hard grad? (I suppose it depends on how one position the filter then).

One last question, have you often found to be in a situation whereby there's more than 3 stop difference in contrast on your outing?

cheers,

Regarding the positioning of hard gray, don't worry, its not so difficult as many has mentioned in the net. As I've said, the useful part of a soft grad is only 1/3 of the entire length on a Lee filter, that may be a problem, depending on your shots. I have a little gadget that will work out fine, pm me when you have purchased the Lee and I'll show you.

Most of my local shots are done locally before 9am, so 3 stop is good enough. If you thought of capturing the midday sun and open shaded area, then even a 5 stop may not work out!

Finally, please note, the more stops differences, the more profound the transition line will be!

Regards
Tachi..

Tachi said:
Regarding the positioning of hard gray, don't worry, its not so difficult as many has mentioned in the net. As I've said, the useful part of a soft grad is only 1/3 of the entire length on a Lee filter, that may be a problem, depending on your shots. I have a little gadget that will work out fine, pm me when you have purchased the Lee and I'll show you.

Most of my local shots are done locally before 9am, so 3 stop is good enough. If you thought of capturing the midday sun and open shaded area, then even a 5 stop may not work out!

Finally, please note, the more stops differences, the more profound the transition line will be!

Regards
Tachi..

Thanks again for the valuable insights. Will pay CP a visit to take a look at the filters. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.