expensive polariser good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groupwest

Nov 16, 2003
Visit site
I used a shop rebadged polariser costing around $40. It has approx 1.5 stop drop when I attach it to my lens. Just wondering if any of you have the more expensive brand filter, Nikon, BW etc? Is it still 1.5 stop or less? How much less? I was wondering if I should upgrade mine. Thanks in advance :)

I have a funny philosophy when it comes to add-on filters -

"After spending so much money for a few pieces of low dispersion glass and elements, only to use a $20 glass at the end of it." :dunno:

Just my funny way of putting things. :bsmilie:

Anyway, I think Nikon's polariser is 1 way. Try to see it the other way it doesn't work :think: And the ring is really thin!

I used a shop rebadged polariser costing around $40. It has approx 1.5 stop drop when I attach it to my lens. Just wondering if any of you have the more expensive brand filter, Nikon, BW etc? Is it still 1.5 stop or less? How much less? I was wondering if I should upgrade mine. Thanks in advance :)
that's what PL filter do, you will lost 2 to 2.5 stop of light.

Dun think you can judge a good polariser by the number of stops.

But here is something that you might be interested in : LB polarizer

Ryan

I have a funny philosophy when it comes to add-on filters -

"After spending so much money for a few pieces of low dispersion glass and elements, only to use a $20 glass at the end of it." :dunno:

On the other hand, that fancy zoom lens may have about 15 elements, some from specialty glass, some even aspheric, motors, electronics, and precision mechanics. A single element in such a lens is not that much more expensive than the $20 filter. And the filter is a generic, mass-produced commodity item that is much easier and cheaper to manufacture than a curved lens.

i always feel that filters are way overpriced.

a single piece of glass mounted on a ring can cost as much as a precision made lens, w all the elements, barrels, mount etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.