Expensive Olympus Repair?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sphoenix

Hi,

Went down to olympus today to get the battery terminal replaced. Was told that it'll cost $95. Personally, I find this expensive. Isn't the battery terminal simply a metal contact piece?

Anyone care to comment or suggestions? Mr Goh seemed pretty busy when I was there.

Is there a way to reduce the cost? :dunno: :(

Originally posted by mpenza
warranty over liao?

Yeah :( :cry: :bheart:

Originally posted by Sphoenix
Hi,

Went down to olympus today to get the battery terminal replaced. Was told that it'll cost $95. Personally, I find this expensive. Isn't the battery terminal simply a metal contact piece?

Anyone care to comment or suggestions? Mr Goh seemed pretty busy when I was there.

Is there a way to reduce the cost? :dunno: :(

Did u chk what price b4 u agreed to the repairs???

Originally posted by Jayan

Did u chk what price b4 u agreed to the repairs???

Check against what??? :confused:

Typically let's say if I want to buy say the olympus cla-1 adaptor I can always check with you guys and see which shop gives the best deal, the price range for the accessory and perhaps even the sales person to go to.

In this case there's just Mr Goh, who seemed pretty busy at that time so couldn't really bond/connect/persuade him to charge me cheaper... helen the receptionist says that this replacing of battery terminal is the standard price. Then again I'm not too sure about this as earlier on she was asking Mr Goh what to charge and then later she tells me that this is the standard price. Now I'm not saying that there's any wrong doing on their part just that repair jobs always seem to be so overpriced by the manufacturers' service centre. I'm wondering whether there's a way around this in this particular case.

But if you're asking did I ask first, yes I did. then couldn't quite say I didn't need to have it fixed as I have to lend it to my gf.

sigh any of you know mr goh well enough to think that he'll give me a discount if i ask him when i collect the camera. perhaps i should have just bought the parts from him and fixed it myself. :(

Originally posted by Sphoenix

Check against what??? :confused:

Typically let's say if I want to buy say the olympus cla-1 adaptor I can always check with you guys and see which shop gives the best deal, the price range for the accessory and perhaps even the sales person to go to.

In this case there's just Mr Goh, who seemed pretty busy at that time so couldn't really bond/connect/persuade him to charge me cheaper... helen the receptionist says that this replacing of battery terminal is the standard price. Then again I'm not too sure about this as earlier on she was asking Mr Goh what to charge and then later she tells me that this is the standard price. Now I'm not saying that there's any wrong doing on their part just that repair jobs always seem to be so overpriced by the manufacturers' service centre. I'm wondering whether there's a way around this in this particular case.

But if you're asking did I ask first, yes I did. then couldn't quite say I didn't need to have it fixed as I have to lend it to my gf.

sigh any of you know mr goh well enough to think that he'll give me a discount if i ask him when i collect the camera. perhaps i should have just bought the parts from him and fixed it myself. :(

Geeez.....what a rip-off. ;(

I know that labour in Sg doesn't comes cheap...but $95 to fix a tiny pc of matel + plastic is too darn high, don't u think???

This kinda thingie if can buy parts and know how to DIY then better DIY....last time I got one PC motherboard wif a conked out BIOS chip...took it to the repair centre and the cust svc told me incl labour is $60...in the end I bought the *&^% chip at $30 and fix it myself....just pull out the burnt one and plug in the new one.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth, a pc mobo is diff from a dc.

Originally posted by Jayan

Geeez.....what a rip-off. ;(
I know that labour in Sg doesn't comes cheap...but $95 to fix a tiny pc of matel + plastic is too darn high, don't u think???

This kinda thingie if can buy parts and know how to DIY then better DIY....last time I got one PC motherboard wif a conked out BIOS chip...took it to the repair centre and the cust svc told me incl labour is $60...in the end I bought the *&^% chip at $30 and fix it myself....just pull out the burnt one and plug in the new one.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth, a pc mobo is diff from a dc.

Aiyah if this was a mobo then I'd rather diy. Furthermore even a "brute force" approach of completely replacing the mobo will have the added advantages of support for newer technologies etc Then again not sure how to diy for dc.

Sigh Jayan read that you've been to oly singapore and "gotten to know" mr goh pretty well? ;) do you think he'll take it kindly when I request for a reduction in charges?

Btw I don't think it's that tiny. It's a single metal part which provides the contact for 4 points of the battery. What plastic are you refering to?

Can quote your name ;) :devil: sure get discount right?!

just kidding... well i'll see how the winds of fortune blow today.

The batt terminal is mounted on the cover to the batt compartment right?

How possibly could this pc of metal get damaged? Unless the whole batt compartment cover snapped off.

Anyway, no choice gotta go 'chum siong' wif Mr. Goh lor.....see if can get reduction in costs or not.

Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.