Digicabi $250
a few ang mo "what camera" magazine
lots of time spent on surfing camera /lenses related sites

wah lau $2.6K liao before I knew it
still aiming for uwa...

could have gotten super gaming computer
could have gotten good lappy
could have gotten 40 over PS3 games

But......LOVING EVERY MOMENT WITH MY DSLR!!!
What if 1 yr later decided to go full frame? siong man!!!:D:D:D

All hobbies are expensive / a luxury.

Audiophiles spend hundreds or thousands on the amps, CD players, wires as well.

Agree you could have spent the money on other things, so
at the end of the day, you have to decide & control your spending.

Actually looking at your spending, you already didn't spend too much. You (tried to) save on speedlite, camera bag already.

Using 500D 2 mths, bought a few accessories since then here and there
Damage so far
500D $1350
50mm $130+ with filter
Speedlite $199
Lowepro camera bag $50
Lowepro lens case $28
Tammy 28-75 $600+ with filter
Digicabi $250

still aiming for uwa...

Last edited:
S$7.7k of camera gear + macbook (2k) in 18 months for me. Yes, expensive. Hope to turn it into investments by earning some money from it part time.

S$7.7k of camera gear + macbook (2k) in 18 months for me. Yes, expensive. Hope to turn it into investments by earning some money from it part time.
Getting camera gear is never an investment in the long run. Photographic equipment keeps depreciating all the time, this is especially true with today's digital bodies. By the time you manage to earn back what you've spent, the gear is probably worth a mere fraction of its original price.

Unless you're talking about classic brands like Leica or Zeiss.....the lenses and bodies still demand a premium today.

Funnily, its usually the amateurs/hobbyists who spend more on gear than the pros....

There's someone's signature line I saw in one of the online photography forums which I can't help but agree on and it goes something like this:

"Beginners worry about cost, amateurs worry about gear, pros worry about Light...."

:sweatsm:

There's someone's signature line I saw in one of the online photography forums which I can't help but agree on and it goes something like this:

"Beginners worry about cost, amateurs worry about gear, pros worry about Light...."

hahaha, short and sweet, but ever so true :eek:

Damage so far
500D $1350
50mm $130+ with filter
Speedlite $199
Lowepro camera bag $50
Lowepro lens case $28
Digicabi $250

still aiming for uwa...

It's even more expensive when your hobbies are Computer Hardware, Photography and Gaming all together :sweat:

Getting camera gear is never an investment in the long run. Photographic equipment keeps depreciating all the time, this is especially true with today's digital bodies. By the time you manage to earn back what you've spent, the gear is probably worth a mere fraction of its original price.

Unless you're talking about classic brands like Leica or Zeiss.....the lenses and bodies still demand a premium today.

Funnily, its usually the amateurs/hobbyists who spend more on gear than the pros....

It is an investment at the point where the cost is equaled out by the money gained by photography :p Wish to reach that point one day.

Anyway, the forum's is POTN, one of the guy's signature, and he got it from this quote:

..amateurs worry about equipment,
professionals worry about money,
masters worry about light,
I just take pictures...
- Vernon Trent

Damage so far
500D $1350
50mm $130+ with filter
Speedlite $199
Lowepro camera bag $50
Lowepro lens case $28
Digicabi $250

still aiming for uwa...

After u buy a 70-200 mm what u just spend is cheap..:bsmilie:

HA .. wat till u get married and have kids .. then u know what is truly expensive :bsmilie:

Wait till you get married to a photo enthusiast and have photo-enthusiastic kids :devil:

contrary to popular belief of the singaporean photographer,

there is an end point..

and i have reached it, no need to bbb, just replace equipment when spoil. :)

If it's a HOBBY ... it is relatively expensive..
If it's a BUSINESS ... it's reasonably cheap in terms of start up capital...:bsmilie:

But since your Title stated HOBBY.. yeah .. it's crazy .. and it sucks you in too... sooner or later... you'll start thinking... Oh i spent 50k on lenses liao ... maybe i should go into the photography business...

but really... Business and Hobby incur a different set of expense... :D 50K can only last like 2 months in overheads... :sweat:

Let it be an Expensive Hobby instead! :sweatsm:

>Digicabi $250
Dont pretend pretend lah..lol:bsmilie:

The Digicabi 30L(abt$100) is still probably the most purchased, however you've already bought a bigger model..in anticipation of more purchases?..:bsmilie: Obviously prepared for whats to come..

Last edited:

For you or for your dad?? :bsmilie:

For you or for your dad?? :bsmilie:

Repay him one day la :p Or if he wants, a good relaxing holiday, where he'll go to have peace, and I'll go to shoot travel photos ^^

Last edited:
Repay him one day la :p Or if he wants, a good relaxing holiday, where he'll go to have peace, and I'll go to shoot travel photos ^^

You good life. Think you don't know what 'expensive' means.

It is expensive when you don't know what you are buying for.
Normally, a photographer buying camera equipments or related items if they are planning to achieve something and they are always cauious about budget.
If hobbist buying camera equipments and think it is expensive, then they should not take up photography.
A hobby is always involve $$$$ until some achievement made. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.