Exif removal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hi guys and girls,

Can anyone tell me a way to remove the exif from a file (without buying the Opanda program) ?

I always thought that Photo Shop removed it if you altered the file; but it doesn't always.

I have taken an IR photo and applied all the usual colour mods (even resized it) and the Exif is still there !

This gives wrong information to a printer that reads the Exif and prints accordingly.

Cheers and thanks for any feedback :)

Hello all,

May I explain my reason for posting this question.

From what I have seen, professional printers can use the Exif information when printing.

With this being the case, if you change the photo colour wise, you expect the resulting print to be as you gave altered it.

But if the photo file still contains the original Exif info, the result print will be unlike what your changed photo should look like.

This, from what I have reasoned, is due to the exif information.

To give you an example:

With IR photo's a fair number of changes can be made to the original photo from the camera before it is as you want.
These changes are often things like "red/blue channel swapping, hue adjustments, contrast adjustments"

Now, if the photo file still contains the original Exif information; then the printing device will print the colours as per the original.

The result of this is an incorrect print colour wise.

I hope I have expalined this ok.

I have printed a modified photo on a "Pro printer" and the result has been far from what it should be.

This I have put down to the "exif" info being there.

Cheers all :) I very much appreciate any comments on this !

Hi Pablo,

There's a way, not very elegant but pretty simple and fast.

In Photoshop, first open your orginal pic. Select all (Ctrl-A). Then copy it (Ctrl-C). Then create a new canvas (Ctrl-N and ENTER). Then paste (Ctrl-V). Next flatten the layer (Ctrl-E) and save the file and the EXIF info is removed.

Hope this helps.

deacon.

Hi deacon,

Thank you so much for your reply :thumbsup:

My PS knowlege is not the best . So I will do what you have suggested !

Many thanks again !

:) :)

hi,

i think this has been discussed b4. to remove just the exif, u can use the program "jhead". it's a command line tool, quite easy to use. hope it helps.

Hi W.S.,

Thank you for the assistance. :)

Cheers :)

I use Paintshop Pro and when I save as JPEG, it has a checkbox whether to remove or retain the EXIF data.

Hi Drudkh,

Thank you for the reply.

I don't have PaintShop myself and as such was not aware of the good way it can do it.

I wonder why Photo Shop doesn't give the same selection in it's save function :dunno:

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.