Exercise Wallaby

ahsamhui

Apr 12, 2006
Hi,

I like to find out from anyone here who've been to Exercise Wallaby, are you allowed to bring camera? I've seen friends'photo from the exercise but I am not sure if permited or they just took without asking. I did not ask them coz that time this question did not cross my mind.

Thanks!

Ah Sam

you need clearance, or be an appointed photographer.

also, you need an LOA (letter of authorization) to bring the camera into camp.

No need LOA or be the appointed photographer. Been there twice. Just don't post our big military equipments in facebook or other social network. If can, bring those rugged, waterproof camera. The dusts are very "powderful" there.

Last edited:
Just inform ur PC for informal clearance.

Just bring a compact or disposal film cam.

Yup. You can bring ur phone camera or pns camera to wallaby. Just don't anyhow post sensitive photos. Charging battery is a hassle. U only be able to charge at the canteen. I'll be going there next month for my reservist for the 2nd straight year.

Thanks to all of you, very useful and informative. Actually I've alr MR (no ICT anymore)

I asked for my brother. He will be there next mth too, same as tsaieh. Weeloon, yes the dust can fill every and any place. Can't imagine u did this twice haha.

Hi,

I like to find out from anyone here who've been to Exercise Wallaby, are you allowed to bring camera? I've seen friends'photo from the exercise but I am not sure if permited or they just took without asking. I did not ask them coz that time this question did not cross my mind.

Thanks!

Ah Sam

No need LOA or appointed photographer .

Just dont go all Macro on the military equipment and post on FB and such

Listening from people who go there before is best and also is helpful. They got actual experience.

Thanks to all of you, very useful and informative. Actually I've alr MR (no ICT anymore)

I asked for my brother. He will be there next mth too, same as tsaieh. Weeloon, yes the dust can fill every and any place. Can't imagine u did this twice haha.

Yeah. i was surprise to be called up. haha. anyway, your bro don't really have anything to take photos. haha. nothing to see. can take the helicopter loh. lol... and R&R time, go see the heritage. don't bring expensive camera. u know... ur duffle bag is your locker. ;)

I didn't go for Wallaby but I went to States for Forging Sabre. Camps there are not as strict on photographic equipment regulations as ours.

Didn't need an LOA for mine either.

Forging Sabre

HIMARS?

Yes tsaieh, more for R&R. Bcoz Rockhampton is a place people don't usually for holiday. I am wondering if change to AU$200 enough?

Forging Sabre

HIMARS?

Yes tsaieh, more for R&R. Bcoz Rockhampton is a place people don't usually for holiday. I am wondering if change to AU$200 enough?

A$200 not enough maybe $300 to $400. The canteen food on the camp itself is very expensive (open by Auzzie). I spend most of my money on canteen food. R&R nothing to buy because most things Rockhampton have, Singapore also but have at a lot cheaper rate.

ahsamhui said:
Hi,

Thanks!

Ah Sam

no. unless it officially clear by the m-dept.. even So, also restricted usage.....

"spend most of my money on canteen food"

Understand, understand...what other luxury? I am afraid this is SOP for 2G and 3G army

Most money spent on the garlic chickenball in the canteen.

theres nothing in australia.bought nothing but tourist souvenirs first time i went there.you all spent so much on canteen food????and orrible chicken balls at that??i wonder which part of asia ever eats chicken balls even....

think theres like supermarket food at stockland at rockhampton that can be kept without refrigeration for a day or so:

1)smoked chicken legs at the ham section at woolworths (4 ina pack at $4.50)
2)sandwich bread around $1-$2
3)roasted chicken from woolworth at $9.80
4)smoked salmon at $35/kg
5)stuff that u can get real cheap in spore

teeth whitener kit at $15.

Last edited:
think u need to change more than $200.first went there discoveered they didnt have money changers everywhwere,and banks like eat up the $ as part of their commision.change rates is better in spore to me at that time.had like $700 sing for more than a month. just keep the extra unspent cash as savings.banks are closed on a saturday.and if possible get the cirrus or visa card some banks have in spore or even the mastercard debit card for emergencies or when u discover u need to buy something.

there are some things that u cant see in spore..like the cheap chocs for xmas,national geographic gizmos at stockland that cant get on internet.all shops in stockland opens at 9am daily.all supermarkets open earlier at 0800hrs.all shops close around 5~6~7pm at stockland shopping centre in rockhampton.

but really theres nothing u need here in oz that u cant get on the internet cept for stored value mastercards at big W or woolworth for internet shopping anywhere in the world.

other than cheap dvd that goes for $12(Big W department store at stockland) and boring aussie food....thats nothing here really except food items on the deli counters at supermarkets.

think oz shuld be a holiday for u guys as the training area is more like a nice clean,cool and dry place to train.if i was in asia it would be moist and wet everywhere.

just be careful of the snakes whose bite is more poisonous than cobra.they get attracted to food and warmth. average size of lethal brown and black snakes are 1.7 metres long.how they ever gopt so big is unbelievable!the first black snake i saw over in oz that was more poisonous than a cobra was almost 1.7 metres long. it is common size for all snakes over in oz.so best u should store food away from areas u sleep in.take note of young aussie kids who may want to pick a fight because they got nothing to do.dont go around with wads of cash amounting to thousands of dollars as u may get robbed by muscular aborigines or white dudes.best get a debit card so they cant steal much.

Last edited:
luxury ???what u can get in spore u casn get here.

So much information. Thk u guys. Just wonder who going Thunder Warrior next yr? Tips to share?