[exclaymation] taipei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windward

Oct 30, 2007
Singapore
www.flickr.com
This trip was especially special to me because it was the first time I was alone in a foreign country. I did the plane ticket bookings and accommodation bookings, planned my own itinerary...and basically my objective wasn't really to visit all the tourist places but to actually experience a whole new culture. I set out with no photographic vision whatsoever in mind, my photos was going to be about life, and about my life in Taiwan.

This presentation isn't going to be about mindblowing sunrises and sunsets, about classic architecture/landscape shots. It's going to be simple, crisp and honest, which I think is the style I like when I'm doing travel photography.

I'll start with where I lived in Taiwan - Eight Elephants Hostel near Guting MRT, along Jinjiang Street, a rather creepy street at night but full of local flavour which spoke to me.

3182987128_627b8c64f2.jpg

This was taken about dawn, when I set off before the sky was bright so that I can get some breakfast.

Before I continue with the photography, I welcome anybody who loves travelling to come and talk to me. I love making friends, and I must say that trait came in very handy when travelling alone. If you'd like me to share more about the travel aspect, give some tips about Taiwan and on travel...do drop me a PM or something.

Cheers and here's hoping for a good thread with loads of exchange.

Last edited:
3196383445_17989f3d25.jpg

Guting MRT was my starting point for most of the trip. Being a Singaporean, I was truly amazed with the way the Taiwanese line up on the right side of escalators and along markings on MRT platforms. It made things very pleasant. I wish I could bring some of that culture back.​

hope to see more of your travel series. :)

3179411410_d433588f85.jpg

The National Palace Museum is a great place for people-watching, if you think that viewing artifacts is boring business. Many student groups are taken here every day, as well as tourists, mostly from Japan and China if I may add. When I was here...the place was swamped with them...and I think it was rather interesting to observe Japanese curiosity with Taiwan's, and indeed, China's history. I really liked the jade cabbage and fatty pork stone that they are famous for...but the best I thought, was the mere architecture of the place.​

3179414372_2df5216ffd.jpg

It was hard to get a clean picture with many people posing in front of the gates for that classic shot so I gave up and instead tried a composition that would perhaps attempt to tell a story using two complete strangers.​

shunzi
Thanks for the comment, yup I will be uploading more soon. :)

Last edited:
3179415875_92581c87a8.jpg

Shilin Night Market, famous tourist destination and no need for much explanation. This guy sells pretty good sausages.​

3179462724_86a018e718.jpg

I have a soft spot for kids. Especially kids that can read the menu and tick items off themselves. :)

3179416717_9f9db38fc3.jpg

Advertisements using humans carrying boards seem to be a distinctly Taiwanese thing. It's an old method but hey, it works. What strikes me is the degree of competition in night markets. Many stalls are selling the same thing, and they try to stand out with some celebrity endorsements as well as advertisements...but really, to me, it's buy from the stalls with the queues and get out ASAP.

3206514368_25d4160408.jpg

And so even with the perpetual crowd, the lesser known stalls see relatively less traffic. It's quiet at this part of Shilin.​

Last edited:
3178602589_7e33603d2a.jpg

This scene made me feel very uneasy. The guy was kowtowing continuously, non-stop, and that's how beggars in Taiwan go about trying to solicit sympathy. Even the rain and cold doesn't deter them. I think the expression by the guy on the left is representative of most - I pity you...but I don't have the money to give/there are better things you can do to earn a living.​

beautiful series. makes me miss taiwan. hahaha! keep them coming! :)

A very different eye to Taiwan which I like really. Beats seeing the usual stuff. Sometimes photography is not really about technical aspects, but the emotional aspects.

Guting MRT was my starting point for most of the trip. Being a Singaporean, I was truly amazed with the way the Taiwanese line up on the right side of escalators and along markings on MRT platforms. It made things very pleasant. I wish I could bring some of that culture back.​

Thta's excatly how i felt when i came back from Taipei last year. They actually have the common sense to give way to alighting passengers and keep to the right of the escalators.

Singaporeans have lots to learn from Taiwanese in that aspect.

Lovely photos dude .. you inspire me to travel back to Taipei again. I really enjoyed my trip there last year.

3184603522_f5611734d7.jpg

I attended the Countdown concert and had a blast. It was great seeing a lot of my favourite Taiwanese artistes. Here's a picture of A-Mei, whom I thought was the best of the night. For more celebrity photos, head over to my flickr. I shan't bore you photographers here.

handman
Thank you! Mm, #9's one of my personal favourites as well.

refraXion
Tell me about it...I'm missing Taiwan every minute.

Pokka
Indeed...I'm personally more of an emotive photographer than a technical one, but a balance is probably the best.

zhix
I think every Singaporean who has been to Taiwan would agree with us! If only we can impart some of that common sense overnight. Thanks, I'm going back end of this year after my A Levels.

3180537824_485c1ccee1.jpg

3179702705_13c51d3bd4.jpg

3179704059_f1cfec394b.jpg

And of course, one of the major highlights of the night was the Taipei 101 fireworks. What an amazing spectacle. I was just gushing at the fireworks whilst occasionally pressing down on my camera to do the long exposure. At that moment...just wished I had a boyfriend next to me. :sweat:

These were hard to get by the way. I set up a tripod in the middle of the crowd, and we're talking of a crowd in the number of tens of thousands. I was guarding my "area" with my life so there wouldn't be camera shake.​

3180537824_485c1ccee1.jpg

3179702705_13c51d3bd4.jpg

3179704059_f1cfec394b.jpg

And of course, one of the major highlights of the night was the Taipei 101 fireworks. What an amazing spectacle. I was just gushing at the fireworks whilst occasionally pressing down on my camera to do the long exposure. At that moment...just wished I had a boyfriend next to me. :sweat:

These were hard to get by the way. I set up a tripod in the middle of the crowd, and we're talking of a crowd in the number of tens of thousands. I was guarding my "area" with my life so there wouldn't be camera shake.​

*jaw drop*

just a question... is it very very crowded from where you took those shots?

Wah.. Another beautiful Taiwan series.. :thumbsup: It's really making me consider re-visiting.. Probably fne this time round so that I can truly enjoy the trip!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.